Friday, April 12, 2019

Beer O'Clock: Big Kahuna

Do you remember those commercials for Hawaiian Punch from the 1970s?




It always bothered me that the nasally voiced guy who carried a tray with a refreshing drink would offer it to that unsuspecting fella, who would only receive a punch in the face.

That ain't right.

Years ago, I tried Spearhead Brewing Company's Hawaiian Style Pale Ale, and I was duly impressed: made with pineapple, this hoppy ale had loads of citrus flavour and was easy-drinking. It was perfect for a hot afternoon.

A few weeks ago, the wonderful folks of this brewery, who celebrated their one-year anniversary in its new Kingston home only this past weekend, reached out to me and asked if I would be interested in sampling a new release.

Who was I to say no?

As a full disclaimer, I agreed to accept their brew and to review it on the condition that my findings wouldn't hinge on the fact that I wasn't paying for it.

Just the other day, a package came to my door, and I was excited to see the brewery's name on the return address. I opened the box right away.


In the box were three black cans with a gold illustration that reminded me of their Hawaiian Style Pale Ale, and I got excited. The box also contained a Spearhead bottle opener (a bottle opener... for cans?) and a card that explained this new ale to me, as follows:
Ross,

It's been several years since we brewed the Big Kahuna, but it was worth the wait. I was a little worried at first because this was the first time we scaled up to full production as opposed to using our mini system to have kegs for festivals.

I was blown away by the awesome job Tom, Jacob and their team did. I hope you enjoy this beer as much as I do...
Cheers!
—Josh Hayter (President and CEO)
Josh also gave me contact details, should I have questions.

On the other side of the card, there was a description about this double-dry-hopped Imperial IPA, but I only glanced over it, not wanting to be influenced by any tasting notes until after I had tasted the beer, myself. What my eyes did see, right away, were numbers: 10 percent ABV; 100 IBUs.

My jaw dropped. This was going to be a serious brew. About a month ago, I reviewed an IPA with zero IBUs and said that high IBUs didn't necessarily impress me. I had remarked on a 129-IBU ale that I had, and I hated it because it reminded me of sucking on a dry teabag.

All bitterness: no flavour.

But I reminded myself that I haven't had a Spearhead brew that I didn't like. And if Big Kahuna was anything like its little brother, Hawaiian Style, I was in for a treat.

So, using the provided bottle opener, I cracked one open.

Big Kahuna Imperial IPA

Appearance: amber-red with a creamy, beige head that pours to a solid half-centimetre cap and shows minimal effervescence.

Nose: oranges and pineapple with a hint of caramel and Earl Grey tea. The aroma is beautiful.

Palate: remember that Hawaiian Punch commercial? Wham! Taking my first sip of Big Kahuna, there was a punch to my head from the high alcohol that came out fighting right from the beginning. There's a distinct bitterness in the mouth, but it's tempered by the Warrior, Cascade, Cashmere, and Halertau Blanc hops. The pineapple is definitely there, but it's overpowered by the strong, boozy finish.

Overall impression: I find it hard to reconcile the alcohol flavour, overall. This IIPA is certainly not for the feint of heart. While the 100 IBUs are tempered, the ABV is not.

The Hawaiian word kahuna refers to a wise man or shaman. While I enjoyed the flavour of the hops and what pineapple I could discern, I do question the wisdom of the alcohol content.

After my first pint, I felt this ale. I would highly recommend that you enjoy this IPA when you're at home and have nowhere to go.

If you like big flavour that carries a (Hawaiian) punch, this is the brew for you. It is a true warrior drink.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺 — this is a good example of an Imperial IPA and the selection of hops balances out its bitterness rating. This ale could have merited an extra 🍺 if the alcohol hadn't overpowered the pineapple. I'd drink it again (heck, I still have two cans!) but like my sample pint, I'd only have one at a sitting.

Big Kahuna is available at Spearhead's Kingston location (675 Development Drive, off Gardiners Road) and for online purchase through the company's Web site. The beer, which was released on March 30, will be available only while supplies last.

Tomorrow is also the Kingston Beer Festival and Spearhead will definitely be there. It's a great festival, so now you have two reasons to go to Kingston this weekend. (Click here for my Beer O'Clock review of the festival from a couple of years ago.)

My thanks to Amanda at Spearhead for the opportunity to try this ale.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment