Friday, April 26, 2019

Photo Friday: Shakedown

With only two weeks to go before my trip to South Korea, I'm still vigorously testing my 360-degree camera.

And I still have a lot to learn.

Even though I haven't yet put together a definitive video of DW's and my trip, a month ago, to Mexico, I'm still making short videos and taking stills, so that when I'm in Korea, my videography skills are ready for the movie that I want to make.

Editing and stitching video takes an incredible amount of time.

This week, I wandered around Chaudière Falls, collecting more video and practicing with the post-processing functions. Before then, I was transferring the video from my Insta360 One X camera to my home computer and editing it with the camera's software program.

This time, I was using a cable to connect the camera to my smartphone, and editing with the Android app. I also transferred the video, by WiFi, to do the same thing.

Here's what I discovered in using my smartphone with the Insta360 One X:
  • Connecting via cable drains my smartphone. When I made the connection and started the transfer, my phone was at 90-percent battery life. By the time I had downloaded a single, one minute and five second video, my phone was at 41 percent.
  • Connecting via WiFi is slower, so the battery drains even faster. Fortunately, I could plug my phone into a power source, so I could preserve battery life.
  • Both the video camera and smartphone become hot during the transfers. The manufacturer recommended a specific type of micro SD card—UHS-I V30 U3 A2, to be precise—one that can handle the type of speed and quality without overheating. Still, the Insta360 gets warm, and my phone gets downright hot.
  • The editing app on my smartphone has more features than the laptop program, such as music and speed control, and with some practice can be a little easier to control. 
I'm running out of time, but I can still do some trial video. You can see some of the test videos on Instagram, where I'm just walking near the dam, with music and at double-time, walking through some archways, and pestering a goose

It's not the content: it's the angles and effects I was after.

Unintentionally, I also captured another selfie. On the editing app, as a video was playing, I saw a button and wondered what it did. It did this:



More testing is to come. I'm not sure whether I'll share it all.

Happy Friday!



No comments:

Post a Comment