Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Theme Music

In the final months of 2011, as I was finishing the final draft of Songsaengnim: A Korea Diary, I was continually listening to Land & Sea, by Sarah Slean. I had purchased the deluxe version of the album, which includes instrumental versions of the Sea tracks as a bonus.

In essence, Sarah's vocal tracks are removed and you're left with orchestral wonder. Of course, I love her voice, but when you're trying to concentrate on forming cohesive, literary passages, another voice, no matter how beautiful, can be distracting.

The instrumentals soothed me.

When I sent my last manuscript to the publisher for printing, my thoughts drifted to delusions of grandeur and I thought, what if my book becomes strangely popular and someone wants to turn it into a movie?

No one has ever approached me with that insane idea.

But if someone had, and I was allowed to participate in the project, I had some ideas.

Kate Kelton would play the role of Tanya. She and I discussed that fantasy, years ago, when I sent her a copy of my novel, and a few years later, when we actually chatted through FaceTime.

The soundtrack, though the book is set in 1997, would be written by Sarah Slean. I already had some tracks from Land & Sea that would work.

"Cosmic Ballet" would softly play throughout the film, from the beginning, where Roland Axam is watching out the window as his plane makes its final approach to Kimp'o International Airport, in Seoul. It would replay, throughout the film, as Roland remembered his tragic past and in other tender moments.

Other songs came to mind, as I recently read through my novel. "Napoleon," "You're Not Alone," "The One True Love," and "My Eyes & Your Eyes." It were as though this album was made for my story.

Today, as I prepare to return to South Korea, to work on the nearly forgotten sequel, Gyeosunim, I plan to also document my trip with video. To that end, I've even begun storyboarding segments of my journey back to The Land of the Morning Calm, to almost mimic the fictional journey of Roland, more than 20 years ago.

It would be nice to use some of the instrumental pieces from Sarah's album.

Sarah? There'd be a copy of my novel in it for you. What do you say?

Sarah?


No comments:

Post a Comment