Tuesday, April 2, 2019

The Party's Over

Even though I wrote this post before I left for Mexico, I know that what I say is at least 90-percent accurate, unless we were hit with a hurricane. Or our rental car was stolen/broken into/wrecked in an accident. Or DW and I came down with a nasty illness.

In the weeks leading up to our trip, DW read scads of travel guides and online reviews, watched countless YouTube videos of every place we planned on visiting or were curious about, and studied both paper and online maps of the region.

By March 26, the day we left Ottawa, I felt as though I had already experienced the Mayan Riviera, except for the warmth and margaritas.

Today, as we prepare to return home, I'm sure we're carrying with us, besides our luggage, many fond memories of the ruins Tulum and Cobá, of snorkelling with myriad sea life, including turtles (after all, this was DW's impetus for arranging this trip), of experiencing fine Mexican cuisine, of relaxing poolside at our all-inclusive resort.

A couple of weeks before our departure, as I was changing after a workout at our local gym, I overheard two senior fellows complaining about the snow we had. One of the men said, "I'm leaving for the Mayan Riviera, next week, to get away from this horrible winter. One week of sun and sand. And when I get back..."

I interrupted him: "... it'll still be winter here."

Both men looked at me, their fantasy crushed.

"It's okay," I said, "I'm going to the same region in two weeks, and when I return, the snow will still be here." Looking to the man who was heading to Mexico, I smiled. "At least we'll have had our little taste of heat and sunshine."

The man nodded, smiled.

DW and I are wrapping up our vacation. We'll be home just after dinnertime. Tomorrow, we return to work and our life will resume to normal. We'll have our memories, which I plan to share over the next week or so.

And then, my thoughts will return to my next trip, in just over one month. This party's over, but the next one is just around the bend.



No comments:

Post a Comment