Friday, May 10, 2019

Piazza Dante

I first saw it several months ago while stopped for a red light. And I had no idea what it was.

My family and I were on Booth Street, on our way to Gatineau and, ultimately, Lac Bernard, but we wanted to stop along the way for some much-needed caffeine. In a unanimous decision, we pulled off the Queensway and headed to the nearest Bridgehead.

So there I was, stopped for a red light, when my eyes saw what I thought was a vacant lot, and just over the south wall, a statue of an eagle. And just as I wondered about this bird, the light was green and I was compelled to move forward.

I told myself that I had to return to this spot to figure out what the statue was doing in that lot, and that this bird would make an excellent subject for Where In Ottawa.

Months later, on the first truly warm spring day, I found myself near the neighbourhood and told myself that this was the time to check it out. But because I hadn't paid attention to where I was when I first saw the eagle, I turned onto Rochester Street, rather than Booth, and I couldn't find the spot right away. It took nearly 10 minutes of driving circles around the neighbouring streets, but I found the statue at Booth and Gladstone.

The statue, a memorial to those who gave their lives to fight in all wars, is situated in Piazza Dante Park.



Here are the clues, explained:
  1. Cornered by a saint—this park, largely a vacant lot with a couple of benches, is at the intersection of Gladstone Avenue and Booth Street. On each of the other corners stands a church, a Catholic school, and a children's centre, all named after St. Anthony, the patron saint of lost things. Fitting, that I would have you try to find this park.
  2.  Storia. Respetto. Diversità. Futuro—carved into one of the mini obelisks in the park, the Italian words for history, respect, diversity, and future. It's also a nod to Little Italy, in which this park is located.

Congratulations to my dear friend, Becky Garceau, who came up with the correct location. She also told me that she already has a copy of Songsaengnim: A Korea Diary (such a good friend), so a copy of Gyeosunim will be in her hands just as soon as it's out.

Chances are that most of you who are reading this post are doing so while I'm either in the air, on my way to Seoul, South Korea, or I'm already in Korea, getting inspired to finish writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment