Thursday, May 9, 2019

Whenever

It's the closest I'll come to time travel.


Statue of Admiral Yi Sun-shin, about a 15-minute walk from my hotel.
When I fly to Seoul, South Korea, tomorrow, I'll travel via Vancouver. It's a short stopover, at just under two hours. Enough time to deplane, find my next gate, and board before I'm whisked off to Incheon International Airport.

To say I'm excited is my understatement of the year.

If all goes according to plan, this should be the shortest commute to Korea that I've ever done (it'll only be my third time doing it, but still...). The first time DW and I flew to Seoul, we had a 24-hour layover in Vancouver. It had taken us about five hours to fly to western Canada and more than 12 hours to fly from Vancouver to Seoul.

That's a whopping 41 hours to get from Ottawa to Seoul. And that didn't include our slow journey to Chŏnju.

On my second flight to Korea, DW and I flew from Ottawa to Toronto and then from Toronto to Seoul. With our layover in T.O., it was nearly 24 hours by the time we reached Seoul. And because DW and I had learned, in our first year in Korea, that a direct bus ran from Kimpo International Airport to the Core Hotel, in Chŏnju, only 27 hours had elapsed from door to door.

Tomorrow's flight is even shorter: I leave Ottawa at 7 am and arrive in Incheon at 1:50 pm, Seoul time (Korea is 12 hours ahead of Ottawa). Total commute time is just shy of 19 hours.

Of course, I need to get from the Incheon airport to my hotel, in Seoul, but I've planned that out. A high-speed train runs directly from the airport to Seoul Station and takes an hour. Seoul Station is about a 10-minute walk to my hotel. Allowing for about a half hour to get through customs, I expect to be in my hotel room by 3:30 (most of you Ottawa folks will be sound asleep: for you, it'll be 3:30 am, Saturday morning).

All told, my commute will be under 21 hours.

While I'm away, I plan to continue blogging. My first blog post from Seoul will arrive next Monday. But I'm wondering: will it be published on Seoul time?

I'm imagining it will. I have a Chromebook that is small and light enough to fit in my day pack, and I'm bringing it with me. I suspect it's smart enough to figure what time zone I'm in. But that means that if I schedule Monday's post to publish at midnight, it'll be noon, Sunday, in Ottawa time. To that end, I'll schedule the post for noon, Monday, and hopefully all will be right with the world.

Then again, not everybody reads my blog from places in North America's Eastern Standard Time. I have no idea where you are as you're reading this post nor what time it is that you first receive my writings.

Whenever. Wherever you are, you'll see The Brown Knowser whenever.

Time travel is hard.

If you follow me on social media, I'll use the hashtag #back2korea in my correspondence. You can also follow me there.

Tomorrow's blog post will appear at its usual time. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment