Friday, June 12, 2020

Photo Friday: Long Verticals

When I replaced my old smartphone, in April, I was impressed with the quality of the photos that I was able to capture with the three rear lenses. And as I set up my phone, I configured the built-in camera to capture the entire screen area, known as full aspect.

Taking horizontally oriented shots, I was happy with the angle of view and how much I could fit in the frame. I saw the same results with vertically oriented shots, but when I wanted to share my images, I came across a problem.

I like to share my photos on Instagram. Sharing horizontal shots is no problem, as the entire image appears; but when I want to share a vertical shot, Instagram is severely limited, as the aspect ratio is 5:4.

I was aware of this shortfall with my old camera, with which I liked to shoot a 9:16 aspect ratio. Sharing verticallyally captured images, I would have to trim almost 20 percent off the image. But with my new phone (a Samsung Galaxy S10), vertically captured images in full-screen mode takes almost half the photo.

(I'm not a math wiz, so I don't know the exact numbers: if you do, please let me know in the Comments section.)

Now that DW and I are spending time in our new kayaks, I like to bring my smartphone along to capture images of our little adventures. If you saw yesterday's post, all of those photos were taken with my S10. One of my favourite shots, so far, was taken early Monday evening, when DW and I paddled from the Manotick boat launch to Watson's Mill, paddling around the southern tip of Long Island.

The time of day, just after 6, meant that the sun was on its way toward the horizon but it was still high enough to cast shadows over Watson's Mill. To capture the mill, I had to move close to shore and under a large tree, to place the sun in shade.

Some post-processing was also required. But I really liked the full image when I was done.


On Instagram, this photo is cropped such that the sun is out of the frame and the reflection of the mill on the water is cut off just at the tip of the chimney. Too much, in my opinion.

It looks like if I want to share the entire photo, I'll either have to share it on Twitter, on Flickr, or on The Brown Knowser. I guess I can live with that.

Happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment