Friday, July 17, 2020

Photo Friday: Passing the Time

Last Sunday, I packed up some of my camera gear and headed to Westboro Beach to catch the sunset. My primary goal was to try out the time-lapse feature on my new Insta360 One R video camera, but I knew that while it recorded the sun setting, I would have some time on my hands.

I had one of my D-SLRs, also set on a tripod next to the video camera, which was on the invisible selfie stick and Bullet Time tripod. At first, my camera was pointed in the same direction, toward the river and the sun, and I snapped occasional photos as sunset changed to the blue hour.

Blue hour is one of my favourite times to capture images, moreso than sunset. It's that colour of blue. With a time exposure over water, you can flatten out movement. Light that hits the water stretches out with every extra second of exposure.

Shortly after the sun had sunk behind the tree line, I swung my camera toward the bay that marks out Westboro Beach. I could see the apartment buildings, nearby, plus the Ottawa River Parkway. Further in the distance, I could see lights along the Queensway, as it climbed upward toward Kanata. Along the shore, in the distance, the building that was once Nortel but is now the Carling campus of our National Defence Headquarters.

In the water, immediately before me, the odd swimmer or two moved in the water, but you can't see it. A family of ducks paddled back and forth, hoping someone would throw bread crumbs their way. But there's no evidence they were there.

While my video camera ran, I kept myself busy.


Happy Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment