Monday, July 13, 2020

Small-World Traveller

Not long ago, when I was lamenting the cancellation of my next big vacation, I began to think about the places I've seen in the world already. I used to think that I've been around the world and was a great traveller.

Map: Google
I've been to many places within my own country and have travelled throughout the United States. On my home continent, I've also been to Mexico and have vacationed in Cuba.

In Europe, I've been to France, Italy, and Germany, and have travelled throughout England, Wales, and Scotland.

And in the far east, I've lived in South Korea but have also visited North Korea, China, Thailand, Malaysia, and Singapore.

It sounds like a lot, but when you look at the world, it's really only a fraction of what's out there.

Just for fun, I took a screen capture off of Google Maps of the world. I then began to colour in parts of the world I've seen. For Canada and the U.S., I only filled in the provinces and states I've visited. Some, such as many of the eastern provinces and states, I've driven through extensively, stopping in many cities and towns. In western regions like British Columbia and California, I've only been to one or two places: Vancouver, San Diego, and Palm Springs.

I saw a lot of Arizona in 2016. It was the last time I've been to and will ever be in the United States. I'm done with that country (but I digress...).

I've only ever visited the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico; mainly, the Mayan Riviera. And, in Cuba, I only stayed on an island resort.

For European countries, it's a mixed bag: I've driven or taken the train all over England, drove all over Wales, and have only visited the lowlands of Scotland. I've been all over France but have only been to Rome, Venice, Cinque Terre, and all over Tuscany when I've visited Italy.

In Germany, I've only been to Berlin.

Again, for East Asia, I've only been to the airport in Tokyo, Japan, and to Fukuoka. I've travelled extensively in Thailand and to several places in Malaysia. Being essentially a city on a small island, I've been all over Singapore.

For China*, I've only been to Beijing and to Hong Kong. I doubt I'll ever return, but at least I've seen the Great Wall.

Having lived for two years in South Korea, there are only a small number of places that I haven't visited. I'm toying with the idea of returning, one last time, in a few years. And I've only been to the demilitarized zone in North Korea: Panmunjom, where the armistice was signed in 1953—I crossed the line in the middle of that historic room, into the north. 

Painting in all of those countries, states, and provinces, it still looks like a small portion of the world in which I've travelled. This coming September, I was supposed to fill in two more countries, Belgium and the Netherlands, with a more-extensive tour of Germany.


I hope this pandemic ends by 2021 and that DW and I can fulfill that vacation. I have other places that I want to see, and COVID-19 is holding me back.

In the meantime, I'll just relive my travelling days of yore, claiming the title of small-world traveller.


* I realized that, in filling in China, I also claimed the northern reaches of Vietnam. Oops.

1 comment:

  1. A delightful and insightful read! Your 'Small World Traveller' narrative beautifully captures the essence of travel, reminding us that journeys come in all sizes. Your storytelling is enchanting and resonates with the wanderlust in us all. #TravelTales

    ReplyDelete