Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Beer O'Clock: Amber of the North

When the cold weather settles in, I turn from the lighter ales—sessions, saisons, wheat ales, Kölsches, pale ales, and so on—to brews with a bit more body and lasting finish: stouts, porters, wee heavies, brown ales, Scotch ales, and the like.

And then there's amber ales.

I have to admit, though I like amber ales, they are not the sort of beer that I turn to very often. I don't know why that is; perhaps, it's due to there similarity to Irish red ales, of which I'm not a great fan (though I have had some exceptional Irish reds in my days). They're similar, but not really the same.

And yet, I don't often yearn for an amber ale. Until one fell in my lap (or, rather, came to my doorstep).

The folks at Spearhead Brewing Company, in Kingston, have been kind enough to send me care packages over the years. They were one of my favourite Ontario breweries well before they started doing this, and I have really appreciated their generosity, especially during the pandemic.

It's like friends paying you an unexpected visit, and I welcome them into my home.

Last Friday, a small box was delivered by courier, and as soon as I saw the dimensions of the package, I knew that Spearhead had treated me again. Inside the box was six cans of two distinct brews: one, an IPA collaboration with an Australian brewery, which I will review next (come back on Thursday for that one); the other, you guessed it, was an amber.


It's hard to believe that I haven't written a Beer O'Clock review since March (incidentally, it was of another fabulous offering by Spearhead). I haven't done a video review on my Brown Knowser YouTube channel since January.

I admit, it's the YouTube channel that has kept me away. I find my video reviews a bit hard to watch and because I haven't wanted to make more, I seem to have moved away from beer reviews altogether. Starting today, that ends.

If you like the video reviews, let me know in the Comments, below, and if I get enough encouragement, perhaps I'll make more. In the meantime, Beer O'Clock is back on The Brown Knowser blog.

So let's jump right to this one:

Amber of the North British Red Ale
Spearhead Brewing Co., Kingston ON
4.8% ABV, 15 IBU

Appearance: this British red pours a clear, deep copper-red with a generous, foamy beige head that comes on thick, clings to the glass as the beer moves down the glass, leaving a lace sleeve, and never loses a solid, creamy cap all the way down.

Nose: light caramel and spice, though the nose doesn't really open until you're well into your drink. But when it does, the malts are rich, warm and comforting.

Palate: there's an ever-so-slight creaminess that carries the malts straight off, but then a lightly toasted nuts and pine resin fills the mouth and the hops, while mild, are evident. Though low in alcohol, the body is full, given the backing of the hops. There's a medium fruity finish that makes this an easy-drinking amber.

I read the profile description on Spearhead's Web site after my first two glasses were finished and learned that they detect "chocolate, molasses and honey undertones with vanilla," but I didn't find that myself. Nor did I pick up dried fruit in the aroma. (This is why I never read a description of a beer until I have fully sampled it.)

Overall impression: drinking this amber (or British red) makes me wonder why I don't drink this style more often. There are balanced and solid flavours, it's easy-drinking, and it's perfect for a cold autumn evening. And because of the relatively low alcohol level, you can enjoy a couple without any trouble. Amber of the North is a perfect new addition to Spearhead's lineup. It's a solid amber that I would happily reach for.

Beer O'Clock rating🍺🍺🍺 (see rating descriptions in the right-hand margin)

You can find Amber of the North at Spearhead's brewery, but if that's out of your way, they'll ship it anywhere in Ontario.

Beer O'Clock will return with a review of Spearhead's other new brew, on Thursday. My Beer O'Clock reviews will return to their Thursday slot after that, though not necessarily every week. I still like to share the occasional Throwback Thursday post.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment