Thursday, October 28, 2021

Beer O'Clock: G'Deh!

These days, when I see IPA on the label of a beer can, I hesitate. Is this going to be a true IPA-style beer or is IPA on the label simply to draw attention? Is it an IPA the way the British had intended or is it a contradiction, like a black IPA or a hazy, tropical-fruit punch?

When I see IPA on the label, that's what I want: a deep amber gold to copper colour, creamy head, with notes of grapefruit and pine. I want good hops and a solid, bitter finish.

Don't get me wrong. I do love those hazy, fruity ales. I just wish brewers would stop associating them with an IPA.

So when I saw that Spearhead Brewing Company has introduced a collaborative brew with Australian brewery, Sea Legs, and called it a "Transcontinental IPA," I was a bit nervous. After all, the Aussies aren't known for embracing anything British. What was I going to see when I opened the can and poured its contents into my glass? What would I smell? How would it taste?

Here are the answers I was waiting for:

G'Deh! Transcontinental IPA
Sea Legs Brewing Co. & Spearhead Brewing Co.
Kangaroo Point, Queensland & Kingston ON
6.8% ABV, 50 IBU

Appearance: a clear, deep amber to copper colour, just as a classic IPA should look. The head poured thick and foamy but quickly settled to a dense, creamy-beige head. So far, so good.

Nose: lush grapefruit, straight-off. Lots of citrus on the bouquet. I was happily encouraged to take a sip.

Palate: bitter resin and spice, like clove. I also detected white pepper in the flinty finish, which holds on and doesn't let go. It says, "here I am, this is what you want. Take another sip." I was happy to comply. I detected alcohol in the finish but only through subsequent mouthfuls and never overpowering: this was a potent brew but not boozy.

Overall impression: this is, beyond a doubt, an IPA. Though the bitterness units fall smack in the middle of what a classic British IPA provides (anywhere from 40 to 60 IBUs), it has a mouthfeel of a much bitter ale. Perhaps it's because of the spiced notes that adds to the impression. Either way, I like it, though I think I would have appreciated a bit more grapefruit on the palate, and not just in the nose.

But there's no doubt that the can unreservedly deserves those three initials on the label. This is a very good IPA. A classic English IPA, made by Australians and Canadians.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

I was almost tempted to give this ale a perfect score of three mugs, simply because it called itself an IPA and truly was an IPA: not a session IPA, nor a NEIPA,  nor a West Coast IPA, nor the dreaded black IPA (if it's black, what does the P stand for??).

But I rate this IPA as 🍺🍺 simply because it is what it says it is: no more, no less. It's an honest-to-goodness IPA. It's a solid-drinking ale that I would be happy to enjoy anytime and am happy to recommend. Giving three mugs means that this ale would deliver as advertised, and then give more, and I didn't get that from this lovely ale. Perhaps more grapefruit in the mouth might have provided a more flavourful profile.

This IPA is an all-round, good brew, and both Spearhead and Sea Legs can be proud. Maybe, it's worth two-and-a-half mugs.

If you like IPAs—and I mean true IPAs—don't pass this one up. It's a limited release, so get your hands on some. You can purchase it directly from Spearhead Brewing, but if you're outside the Kingston area, they will deliver anywhere in Ontario.

I would like to thank the wonderful folks at Spearhead for sending me this wonderful IPA, as well as the British red/amber that I reviewed on Tuesday.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment