Thursday, November 25, 2021

Beer O'Clock: Chicken Man & Cat Lady

Chicken Man and Cat Lady sitting in a tree
D-R-I-N-K-I-N-G
First comes pale ale; next, IPA
When they're all done, they call it a day.

That take on a kids nursery rhyme came into my head as soon as I made my way out of the LCBO.

I hadn't set out to buy any beer that day. DW and I were in our local Loblaws, shopping for groceries to make dinner to celebrate my mother's birthday and my mother rarely has anything to drink. But when we turned down an aisle that was stocked with wine and craft beer, my eyes naturally turned toward the myriad cans.

I couldn't help but stop when I saw a green can that showed a man on a bicycle, transporting a chicken on a basket. Unable to read more than the name of the beer because I was without my reading glasses (and my eyesight is getting worse and worse), I picked up a couple of cans and thought I would surprise myself when I was finally ready to sit down and try the pale ale.

From Loblaws, DW said that we should stop by the neighbouring LCBO because she was out of vodka and had reminded me that I had complained that we were out of rum.

There was a time when I worked in a mall that had an LCBO and I couldn't pass by without stopping in and saying hello to the staff, who knew me well. Inside, I couldn't leave without checking out the Vintages section to see what was new in the world of wine. And I couldn't leave without picking up a bottle.

That would be rude.

Today, I can't be in an LCBO without checking out the craft beer aisles, and while I am actually able to do that without picking up any beer, this visit had me spy an IPA that made me think of my Loblaws purchase and I had to pick it up.

The brews were Chicken Man Pale Ale, by Furnace Room Brewery, and Cat Lady IPA, by Bellwoods Brewery.

Go back up to the top of this post and re-read the rhyme.

Today, I'm reviewing both ales because, although they are from different breweries, they seem to belong together. Let's start with the pale ale...

Chicken Man Pale Ale (5.5% ABV; 35 IBUs)
Furnace Room Brewery
Georgetown, ON

Appearance: clear, bright gold, with a generous, foamy head that settles down to a dense lace and clings to the sides of my glass.

Nose: lemon-lime and subtle hops.

Palate: dried fruit (peach?), grapefruit, and pine, which end in a short, dry finish. The hops linger with successive sips and seem a bit more astringent, but overall, this is a simple, light-bodied ale.

Overall impression: Chicken Man is named after an unknown resident of Georgetown, which is located to the northwest of Mississauga and lies between Brampton and Guelph. It's a story that is relevant to the town's community but was lost on me. My impression of this pale ale is a bit lost on me, too. I had expectations for this pale ale. I expected a medium-bodied, medium-hoppy ale. I found the nose and mouthfeel to be light and basic. But then the finish builds and lingers as you drink more and more. It's light up front, but more bitter with the passage of time.

In all honesty, I'm not sure how I feel about this pale ale. it's a bit off-balance for me, yet it is dry and easy to drink. Would I drink it again if it was offered to me? Yes. Sure. Why not? Will I seek it out again in Loblaws? Probably not.

Would I recommend it? Yes. If you like easy-drinking pale ales, this one does deliver. But if you're looking for a bit more, perhaps look elsewhere. The Chicken Man got my attention, but he didn't hold it.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺+ 1/2

Let's hope the Cat Lady does better.

Cat Lady (DDH) IPA (7.2% ABV) 
Bellwoods Brewery
Toronto, ON

Appearance: a hazy orange, like a pale orange juice, and a creamy, white head that leaves a solid cap that is retained as the ale goes down. Looking at the full glass, it's not what I expect to see when I pour an IPA but it seems to be the new norm.

Nose: juicy oranges (or tangerines) and tropical fruit. Hints of wood.

Palate: flinty minerals and fruit that makes me think of guava, and a bit of pineapple. The clean finish leaves my mouth dry. And though this brew has been double-dry hopped and has a high alcohol level, it is not overly bitter nor is it boozy; rather, it's well-balanced with its flavour profile.

Overall impression: I admit that I have developed a hang up over breweries that release a non-traditional IPA and call their brew an IPA. The appearance, nose, and palate reveal a hazy, fruity, juicy ale vary so far from what the British originally produced that a new name should be attached to these tasty ales.

On the whole, I love Cat Lady. It's the bigger-than-life, juicy beer that I tend to reach for more and more. Sometimes, by accident, because what I really want is a traditional IPA. I love the appearance. I love how it smells and tastes. If you like hazy, juicy pale ales, this one will make you purr.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺 (I would have given this ale two-and-a-half mugs but because it wasn't the type of IPA I expected, I'm sticking with two).

You can get both Chicken Man and Cat Lady at the LCBO. Chicken Man is also available in select Loblaws stores.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment