Thursday, November 18, 2021

Beer O'Clock: Porter Porter

I sort of feel like my father, in the 70s, when he came up with the name of a chocolate bar a couple of years before Cadbury released it: Wunderbar.

Sure, the chocolate bar isn't my father's creation. Any time he ate something that he liked, he would exclaim "wunderbar!" as the literal German word for wonderful. At one point, he said that he thought wunderbar would be a great name for a chocolate bar.

Apparently, it is.

Source: Google.
Fast-forward about 40 years or so: I was sitting on the patio in my back yard, sipping a porter, when I spy a plane flying overhead (my house is along the flight path of the Ottawa airport and airplanes are relatively low as they make their final approach). The plane was a turboprop and I recognized the logo on the tail as Porter Airlines (the tail literally has 'Porter' printed multiple times all over it).

"Someone should make a porter that they sell exclusively to Porter Airlines," I told DW. "They should call it Porter Porter."

Fast-forward again to the fall of 2021: Beau's All Natural Brewing Company has released a porter whose label shows an airplane with a panda riding atop (Porter Airlines' mascot). It's name: Porter Porter.

Because Beau's follows me on Twitter, I'm now starting to wonder if I had shared my conversation with DW on the social-media site, and whether Beau's was paying attention.

No matter.

Because this porter is available for ordering online, I had to try some. Let's take a look.

Porter Porter (5.6% ABV)
Beau's All Natural Brewing Company
Vankleek Hill, ON

Appearance: dark-walnut brown, with a foamy taupe head that appears lighter on the top and darkens as it nears the actual beer. The bubbles in the head are distinctive and settle to a thin lace before they disperse.

Nose: bold cedar and rich chocolate.

Palate: distinct notes of tobacco and dark-roasted coffee, with a dark-chocolate finish that lingers on the tongue.

Overall impression: this is one solid porter that is so smooth and easy-drinking, with dark chocolatey goodness. The cedar, chocolate, coffee, and tobacco blend so well with successive sips. If you like stouts and porters, you'll enjoy adding this offering to your collection.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺.5

As I said, you can get this porter online. Beau's delivers all over Ontario. It's also available from the LCBO, so check your local outlet to see if it's on their shelves. And, of course, you can also get it when you fly with Porter Airlines.

Beau's may have taken my idea for Porter Porter, but that's okay. They've done the name proud. (I also take royalties in cans of this fine stuff... just sayin'.)

And in other news, Beau's has announced this week that it has partnered with Toronto-based Steam Whistle Brewing, further broadening their sales and distribution. (It's been a while since I've had a Steam Whistle lager: perhaps now is the time for another.) You can read more about it, here.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment