Thursday, June 9, 2022

Beer O'Clock: Marco... Polo!

Man, am I ever ready for a vacation. And I'm dying to travel, to explore places I have not yet visited.

DW and I have been watching travel videos on YouTube for the past few weeks, getting ideas and taking notes. Usually, she's the one who plans our itinerary, leaving me to happily tag along, but this time I've led the charge, making lists of places to see and things to do.

I'm the lead explorer for our next vacation. You can call me the Marco Polo of the family, ready to take us into unexplored territory (for us, anyway).

A few weeks ago, when DW and I moved Kid 2 into her own apartment in Toronto (she's ready to begin her own adventure), I was happy to discover that she was practically across the street from an LCBO. Before DW and I returned home, I decided to explore this store, in search of beer that is not readily available in Ottawa.

I wanted something that was native to the GTA.

I found two very different beers from two different brew houses. They're also styles of beer that I don't generally tend to get, but I was on a mission of discovery and felt I should keep an open mind.

Today, I'm going to share my thoughts on an Italian-style pilsner from a brewery that isn't that far from Kid 2's apartment (relatively speaking, for Toronto).

Marco Polo Italian Style Pilsner (5% ABV)
Indie Alehouse Brewing Co.
Toronto, ON

Appearance: clear, rich gold with a creamy-white foam head that settles to a dense cap. Lots of effervescence.

Nose: lemongrass and biscuit.

Palate: more lemongrass—heavy on the grass—bitter pine, and something that I refer to as "ear wax." (On a dare, as a kid, I dug around my ear and then stuck my finger in my mouth. I'll never forget that taste. Go on, explore. Try it. I double-dare you!) There is a bitter, tangy finish that lasts, thanks to the hops. It came on strong in the first mouthful, like bitter tannins that you get in a very dry red wine (almost like sucking on a dry tea bag) but gradually mellowed, leaving you with just the bitter hops. But that finish really stays with you.

Overall impression: I have to admit, pilsners aren't my favourite style of beer, though I do hold respect for them and know what to expect when I drink one. Granted, I've never had an Italian-style pils, so I don't know the difference between an Italian and a standard, German-style pilsner.

Marco Polo seems more bitter and less easy-drinking that a German pils. There seems to be more body, more hops, and a stronger flavour. Sure, I get the grassy aromas and flavours that I expect with a pilsner, but this is much more complex.

I like this pilsner (apart from the initial, ear-wax flavour in my initial sip). It has set off boldly and seems to be brewed for those who seek adventure from the ordinary.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

To find Marco Polo, check online at the LCBO. If you live in the M1 to M9 postal-code areas of Toronto, free local delivery is available.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment