Monday, June 13, 2022

Music Monday: Night of the Swallow

Photo source: Google
Last week, in the Twittersphere, I learned that Kate Bush was trending because, in the recent season of Stranger Things, the song "Running Up That Hill" is featured.

Great song.

Tweets surrounding Kate Bush seem to indicate that this British music icon is regaining popularity and I couldn't be happier for her. In the 1970s and 80s, she was a pioneer, being the first female artist to reach number one in the UK with a self-written song. She also produced all of her own albums from 1982, onward.

She is also reportedly the first artist to wear a microphone headset in a live performance so that she could dance, hands-free.

When her album, The Dreaming, was released in 1982, I was already familiar with Kate Bush's musical talent, having heard her sing backup for Peter Gabriel in his song, "Games Without Frontiers," in 1980 (she would also join Gabriel again, in 1986, for his song "Don't Give Up," which has a great video, IMHO). I had heard the title track, "The Dreaming," on the radio, and picked up her album soon thereafter.

I loved it. My parents hated it.

I would have to listen to the album with headphones when my parents were home—they didn't like the screaming (and donkey sounds) in "Get Out of My House" or the high-pitched vocals in "Suspended in Gaffa."

One of my absolute favourite tracks on The Dreaming is "Night of the Swallow." The rise and fall in Bush's voice in the chorus gives me imaginings of a bird in flight and even today, that song stops me in my tracks, makes me want to give it my full attention.

On Saturday, DW, Kid 1, and I invited ourselves to my parents place for dinner. We had bought a bunch of steaks earlier in the day, with fixings for salad. I asked my mom if I could grill the meat on her barbecue if we shared the meal. We also brought beer and wine to share. Mom, in return, made some potato salad and picked up a treat for dessert.

We had a great meal.

While I worked the barbecue on their deck, I admired the birds that visited their feeder. At one point, a sparrow landed on the feeder and sang me a song, and I don't know how it was related but in hearing the song of the sparrow, the song "Night of the Swallow" entered my head.

It remained with me for the rest of the weekend. At the time of writing this post (after 9 last night), the song was still going around in my head. In particular, the chorus was on a continuous loop.

So, for those of you who just discovered Kate Bush from Stranger Things, I give you one of her earlier songs, from 1982. There's no official video; just music, so put on your headphones, close your eyes, and enjoy!

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment