Thursday, June 30, 2022

Beer O'Clock: Pub House Ale

Summer's here and I crave a patio.

I'm still a bit shy when it comes to pubs. I'm still not keen on sitting indoors without a mask, nor do I want to be in an enclosed space among strangers who are also mask-free.

To get me into a pub, I need to be at a large patio with lots of space and a mild breeze that is blowing away from me. And in truth, summer is all about sitting on a patio, drinking a refreshing, cool beverage.

When I think of summer beverages, I tend to reach for beer that has a lighter yet flavourful body. I love saisons and session ales, but I really like a good German-style Kölsch.

One very good Kölsch comes from a Peterborough brewing company and begs to be sipped on a patio, on a hot summer day.

Pub House Ale (4.8% ABV, 21.5 IBUs)
Publican House Brewery
Peterborough ON

Appearance: a slightly unfiltered apricot-gold with a fizzy white head that settles to a fine lace and then disappears altogether. Lots of effervescence continues, leaving fine pearls on the sides of the glass.

Nose: minerals and candied apricot.

Palate: flint, mild hops, and subtle, dried fruit. The finish is clean, with very little aftertaste apart from the flint.

Overall impression: for me, this is what I think of when I think Kölsch. It's light, with a mineral and fruit flavour that quenches my thirst and cleans my palate. It's a summer beverage that I could drink all day long.

I just need to find the right patio to make it perfect.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺🍺

I don't know if Pub House Ale is available on tap but if you know of a pub in Ottawa that serves it and has a patio, let me know. You can find this Kölsch at the LCBO, in The Beer Store, and at participating grocery stores (I found it at my local Farm Boy).

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment