Thursday, September 14, 2023

Beer O'Clock: Earl Grey Marmalade

When Dominion City Brewing opened its doors, in 2014, I didn't know what to expect. They had paid for a part of their construction through a Go Fund Me fundraiser, and I was a skeptic. If you make good beer, why do you need people to fund the start of your brewery?

Wait until you get your brewery running, put out some beer, and I'll try it. If I like the beer, I'll financially support the company by continuously buying the product. I wasn't going to support a company that hadn't yet produced any beer.

Nine years later, Dominion City is one of my favourite Ottawa breweries and I regularly pick up a few cans from the LCBO, order a pint or two when it's available at a pub, and order online, directly from the brewery.

I've only ever been in the brewery, which is in Ottawa's east end, twice. The last time, I had joined a Brew Donkey tour: the first time, I checked them out shortly after they first opened. I sampled some of the beer from their taps and then picked up a couple of growlers—cans weren't yet available.

One of the brews that I tried, back then, was an interesting saison. It was back in the time before I had really developed a love for this farmhouse-style ale, so while I liked the sample, I wasn't ready to commit to a growler.

For years, I never saw it on their Web site, so even after having a great appreciation for saisons, I couldn't order this ale.

Until the other week.

Earl Grey Marmalade Saison (5.5% ABV)
Dominion City Brewing Company
Ottawa ON

Appearance: pours an unfiltered, deep gold with a foamy white head that clings to the sides of the glass and settles to a thin cap or very dense lace.

Nose: the spices of the Earl Grey tea come through with a bit of candied fruit.

Palate: the orange flavour is subtle but mixes well with the spices of the Earl Grey tea. I still get a touch of banana, which I expect with a saison, and there's a flinty mineral and black pepper that comes through as well. The finish is short but spicy.

Overall impression: this is an easy-drinking saison with a bit extra. While I don't get a distinct impression of marmalade, there is a definite flavour of orange peel. There's more tea and mineral than fruit but nothing overpowers.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

You can order this saison directly from the brewery, which charges $5 to deliver in Ottawa or $15 for deliveries throught Ontario with a minimum $50 order. Or, you can just go straight to the brewery and pick some up there.

This Friday (tomorrow), Dominion City will be celebrating it's ninth anniversary. If you're in the Ottawa area, I recommend checking them out. Details can be found here.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment