Wednesday, September 6, 2023

First Strangers

It was uncomfortably hot in the Byward Market and I had already exposed myself to a lot of sunshine that day.

DW and I had met with some friends in Pakenham and had kayaked a 12-kilometer round-trip trek from the Five Span Bridge to the Upper Dwyer Hill Road underpass, and back. Though we paddled in the morning, the heat steadily grew and was about 30°C by lunch.

Shortly after we returned home and put the kayaks and equipment away, I mowed the lawn. I only cut the front lawn because the sun was blistering hot and there's shade from our neighbour's tree to protect me. But when I was done, I was soaked in sweat.

I had a quick snack and then hit the shower. I needed to be clean, fresh-shaven, and decently dressed. I was meeting strangers and I wanted to make a good impression.

I lucked into finding a parking spot in the shade of a building on Dalhousie Street. I grabbed my Nikon D750 with a 50mm, f/1.8 lens, and headed into the centre of the Byward Market. I also packed my Brown Knowser business cards and a pen.

I wanted to be prepared.

This was the first day of my More Strangers project (I swear I'm going to come up with a better name). The first strangers are always the hardest. I'm shy in front of people I don't know and need to practice what I'm going to say. I needed to put on my best smile and to not seem pushy or creepy.

The first person I saw was a young black woman who was leaning against a vacant store front. I had spied her when I was wandering this side street, looking for a spot with good light, shaded from the lowering sun. She was talking on her cell phone so I left her alone and continued walking up and down this street. I thought the row of vacant windows was a good setting, so I hoped that someone would come by and I could ask them to pose.

A short time later, after I had only seen people in groups or people who seemed determined to get somewhere and so weren't approachable, I noticed that the black woman was swiping on her phone and didn't seem to be talking anymore. This was my chance.

I wandered up and apologized for intruding on her space, and introduced myself. I explained my project and asked if I could take her photograph.

She explained that she was on a phone call, though something told me that she was curious about what I wanted. I apologized again and asked if I could just take one or two captures while she talked on the phone.

She declined.

I bid her a good day and moved on. That's my number one rule: as soon as someone says "no," the conversation is over. I refuse to be pushy.

I stood near a wall that was covered in a colourful mural and thought it might be an interesting background, should I find a willing subject. Even in the shade, it was hot and humid. Passers-by were carrying cool drinks and water bottles, and many looked like the heat was getting to them, their faces seeming displeased and possibly prone to irritation from a stranger with a camera.

I avoided approaching those people.

A young man, dressed in black, stopped about 10 metres from me and leaned against a bare section of the wall. He opened a bottle of water and began to drink. He set his black backpack at his feet to unburden himself while he tried to get some respite from direct sunlight.

He was my second attempt, and he said "Yes."

I asked if he would stand in front of the street art and lean against the wall. Without prompting, he moved his backpack out of the frame and placed his water bottle next to it.

His name is Viet.


I took four shots, showed them to him, and thanked him. He asked more about my project and I showed him some images from my 100 Strangers project. We chatted a bit more and then he was on his way.

I spied another person, standing near where I first spotted Viet, looking at her smartphone. I approached her and gave my spiel.

"Will my picture appear on social media?" she asked in a strong English accent.

"Yes," I said. I plan to be honest about my project. That's another hard rule.

She politely declined and I bid her a great day.

I changed my venue, moving to the east side of the ByWard Market building, the heart of this neighbourhood. William Street is now closed to automobiles along this spot and there is artwork on the pavement. Muskoka chairs of various colours line the street, welcoming people to sit and relax. Kiosks sell hot food and cool drinks.

I scoped out a small alcove, with two doors marked 'Exit Only,' and thought it might be nice if I could find a tough-looking, biker-type person to stand in the space with an intimidating look and arms folded, as though blocking entrance (I know: I'm stereotyping). I saw one fellow but he was with a few of his friends and they were in animated conversation, so I didn't want to disturb him.

I saw her footwear first: bright, puffy, fluffy pink slippers. They were like a beacon that drew my eyes to them. They were attached to a young woman who was carrying a big red bag, black purse, her smartphone, and a cool drink. She wore pink shorts and a white shirt.

I had to approach her.

I already had two people decline to be photographed, both women. I had been in the Market for more than an hour and I was feeling the heat. I was tired from the day's activities. If this woman said no, I'd call it a day and go home with the comfort that one person had already said yes.

She, too, said yes.

My eyes were drawn to the slippers but I had to remind myself that my latest stranger project was going to highlight people in a black-and-white format. It didn't really matter what colour she wore.

It was easy to envisage Viet in black and white. He was already entirely dressed in black. It was the first day of my project and the first strangers, so there was bound to be more thought required on my part when choosing a subject.

But Bryanna had a lot of character and gladly posed for her first shot, standing on one leg with arms in the air and a big smile on her lovely face. I asked her to crouch low for one of the shots, with one of those pink slippers facing out front, and it also turned out well.


She asked for my business card, wanting to know when I was going to post her photo, and she contacted me later that night to request that I send her copies, which I have done.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Bryanna, and for supporting my project.

I still wanted those pink slippers for a shot, so I compromised. Can you believe that I had to lower the saturation level on that footwear and they're still really bright?

Perfect!


The project continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment