Thursday, October 5, 2023

If I Had 10 Million Dollars

... I would buy you a house.

Last week, as DW and I were walking through a residential street in Cabbagetown, Toronto, we admired how this neighbourhood reminded us of an upscale version of the Glebe, in Ottawa. (Most of the Glebe is pretty upscale to a lot of Ottawa neighbourhoods, so that tells you just how posh the Cabbagetown homes were.)

We stopped in front of one house, on Carlton Street, which had a for-sale sign in its lovely garden.

"If you had 10 million dollars," DW said, "would you want to live here?"

"You'd pretty much need all of that 10 million for a house in this 'hood," I joked, "but no, I wouldn't want to live in Toronto."

"But you have a daughter who lives in Toronto," DW continued, "we'd be able to see her perform whenever we wanted to." Kid 2 is a drummer who is currently in three different bands. She also does the occasional session work.

"We also have a daughter who lives in Ottawa," was my retort. Mind you, she is currently living at home and we don't know how long she'll stay there, or where she'll go when she's ready to move on. "Besides," I added, "I'm moving to Porto after I retire. Why would I move anywhere else?"

I've been telling DW, ever since we returned from Portugal, a year ago, that I loved the country so much that I am seriously considering liquidating all of our assets and getting a small but comfortable place in Porto. I've also said that I'd like her to join me, but whether she comes or not, that's where I'll be.

So no, if I had $10,000,000, I would not move to Cabbagetown or anywhere else in Toronto. I'd just have a good nest egg when I moved to Portugal, which would be even sooner.

I don't know why she even bothered asking me if I'd live in Stratford, while we were there. But it certainly wouldn't take as much money.

No comments:

Post a Comment