Monday, April 10, 2023

Covering the Earth

I saw a very good catch phrase that is used by a travel YouTuber couple that encapsulates my very thoughts of life. The phrase was printed on the back of a custom t-shirt for their channel and read, "Cover the Earth before it covers you."

Quite simply, see as much of the world as you can before you're dead and buried.

From my very first solo trip, in 1988, to my travels with DW, family, and friends, the thought of visiting a new country has always stirred excitement and joy in me. I love to travel and hope to continue doing so for as long as I'm able, both physically and financially.

Before DW and I made our recent trip to Mexico, in January, we and some old friends of ours talked about taking a vacation together, to rent a large house, where we all had a common area to eat and relax but could find some private space as well. After thinking about possible locations, one country stood out where we all agreed upon.

Costa Rica.

DW and I have talked about eventually travelling to this Central American country but it's always been a back-burner destination. We would see other countries that were a so-called higher priority for us and then go there. Eventually.

Last week, we bought our airfare and have reserved a few places. We've pieced together a couple of itineraries, depending on what our friends want to do. DW and I will spend a week, exploring this biodiverse country and then meet up with our buddies.

We've got time. Our trip isn't for another 10 months.

But these aren't the only plans we're making.

Some months ago, my parents came to the realization that time isn't on their side. And it's hard for me to come to grips that in another decade, I may not have them around.

My mother has always wanted to go to Italy. In 2009, when DW and I made a promise to take our kids to Tuscany, my mom wanted to come along. Initially, we made plans that could easily accommodate my folks.

But they sat on the fence and couldn't make a commitment. And as time drew near, we made our plans without them.

A few months ago, my mom asked if we would go to Italy with her and my father. Knowing that time is short, I said yes. My mom asked if DW and I could handle the planning, and I said 'no problem.' DW and I are experts at vacation planning.

But because my parents were unsure that they could handle walking around the small towns in Italy, they're first conducting a test. They've wanted to visit my brother, who lives in Arizona, and have flown out to be with him and his family.

My parents plan to spend days walking around Phoenix, Tucson, and possibly Flagstaff. They want to be as active as they can be, and if they can handle it, we'll start booking flights, cars, and accommodation when they return.

My fingers are crossed: but not necessarily for Italy as much as for my parents. I want them to go, but if they decide they can't, DW and I won't go to Italy. We'll go somewhere else.

We want to explore new places.

We love Italy but have been there a couple of times already. If we're travelling without my folks, we'll head somewhere new, keeping hope that someday, we can make my mom's wish come true.

We want to cover the Earth before it covers us.

No comments:

Post a Comment