Thursday, April 25, 2024

Beer O'Clock: Don't Look Up

I really meant to have some of this ale with me when I was watching the solar eclipse, a couple of weeks ago. I even meant to have it reviewed for the Thursday that followed the celestial event.

A friend, Marc, had picked up the beer on the Friday before the eclipse and I had intended on driving to his place to pick it up, but weekends are tricky for driving to the east end of Ottawa. And I was also totally preoccupied with making sure that I had everything ready for the big day.

No matter. I received my six-pack on the following weekend, at the same karaoke night where my other friend, Perry, unexpectedly brought me some of his homemade brew. Guess which beer suddenly became my priority?

Anyway, thanks to Marc for thinking of me when he went to purchase this limited beer release and for bringing it to me on karaoke night.

When I saw the label of this ale, from one of my favourite breweries, I immediately knew I would be both in for a treat and a disappointment. Stray Dog is very good at making hazy, juicy, fruity ales. Every time they release one, I'm eager to try it.

I've never seen this Orleans brewery release an IPA. Like, a traditional IPA. Yet, on every label of their juicy pale ales, they've called it an "India Pale Ale" or simply an "IPA."

My friends, you've done it again. You've made a beautiful ale but have misidentified it.

And it makes me sad.

Please, call it a NEIPA or even a "Hazy IPA," if you must insist on keeping IPA in the name. You must differentiate your creations from simply an IPA. And if you really want to be brave and break this trend, call it a "NEPA" and throw away the I.

Your brew has nothing to do with India.

Okay, enough ranting. Let's look at what they've created.

Don't Look Up! IPA (6.7% ABV)
Stray Dog Brewing Company
Orleans ON

Appearance: pours a dense orange, much like orange juice, with a white head that doesn't pour thick but forms a solid cap of less than a centimetre in thickness. No bubbles stick to the glass but they're there. Yet, when I cracked open the can, there wasn't much of a hiss as the air escaped. I almost thought the can was flat.

Nose: orange peel and tangerine, with a touch of lime and only the faintest hint of pine.

Palate: full-on orange rind and some more pine, and a bit of grapefruit. There's a bitterness that fills the mouth and stays all the way to the finish. I have to admit that there are fewer tropical flavours and more of a traditional IPA taste, but I still wouldn't call this an IPA without another descriptor.

Overall impression: I had more treat than disappointment in this ale. While Don't Look Up! looks nothing like an IPA and smells nothing like an IPA, in a blind tasting (and I mean completely blind or at least wearing solar glasses so that you couldn't see what you're drinking), I would say that this is an unusual IPA that retains some characteristics in the mouth but has something more to it.

It's a good ale that is definitely quaffable.

But it's always going to bother me when a brewery puts only IPA on their label and creates the impression that inside the can is a clear, deep gold to copper liquid that has lots of hops, some grapefruit and pine, and a higher alcohol level.

And I'm always going to rate it lower because of that.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺 + .5

Don't Look Up! is still available for order from the brewery. Like the eclipse, it could be gone for a long time.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment