Monday, April 15, 2024

Style

When it comes to photography, I don't know if I have a style.


I tend to think that I have a wide range of styles. I shoot landscape. I shoot nature. I shoot portraits, including models (either dressed or not). I shoot abstract. I shoot long exposure and I freeze action.

I shoot wide-angle and I shoot closeups. Occasionally, I shoot macro. I shoot in the day and at night. Indoors and out.

Recently, I drove nearly 300 kilometres to capture once-in-a-lifetime images. It was totally worth it.

I think my photography centres on capturing life moments that I am experiencing but there's more to my photography than that. My studio work can't be said to be a moment in my life in the same way that travelling for a vacation and witnessing a sunset on a beach, for example, which in turn isn't the same as sitting near a window in my house, watching birds feeding at our feeder.


One of my favourite photos of 2022 was captured when I was sitting in my favourite chair, watching TV. During a commercial break, I happened to notice the planter of orchids that was sitting on the window ledge, next to me. The light that hit the flowers at that particular time caught my attention and I decided to photograph them. Without moving from my chair, I took my smartphone and snapped the photo. In post processing, I made some dramatic edits and the resulting photo was a keeper.

I still love the photo.

I have a super-wide lens that can really distort a subject, and I like to use it to take pictures looking up. But I also use that lens to take level shots, which tend to not be as distorted, or at least don't appear as distorted.


I suppose that when it comes to studio photography, I've developed a preference for low-key shooting: that is, a black background and minimal lighting to illuminate the subject. In the last four times that I've signed up for a meetup with my photography club, I've chosen themes where we're mostly or totally in the dark.

Have a look by clicking studio photography in the Keywords area, in the right-hand margin (just be aware that some of the posts are NSFW).

That's another thing. I like photographing nude images. DW thinks I'm being "pervy," in her words, but I disagree. It's fine art. I do with a camera what artists have done for centuries with a paintbrush or pencil.

I've never heard her refer to Michelangelo as a pervert for his work on David. (And Zeus, I'm not comparing myself to Michelangelo!)


Do I have a style? The digital age has allowed me to do more with my photography than I ever could in the days of 35mm film. And because I can do more, I shoot more and experiment. Maybe, someday, I'll develop a style where someone can look at one of my photos and know that I shot it, but I doubt it. I want my photography to be as fluid and ever-changing as life itself.

What do you think? Do I have a style? If you can describe it, leave me a note in the Comments section.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment