Thursday, April 11, 2024

Beer O'Clock: Hazy Maitland IPA

There was no mistake about what I was getting. But as a newcomer to this brewing company, I wasn't sure what it was called.

You see, the first thing that grabbed my attention was the top of the can, which clearly reads Hazy IPA. Good. I was in the mood for one.

Filling the top half of the can was an image of a fish with two legs, a top hat, and cane, a la Loonie Tunes Singing Bullfrog, surrounded by the words Something In The Water. Hazy IPA is repeated, toward the bottom of the label, with Maitland, in a different font, separating the two words.

Was Maitland the name of the brewing company, I asked myself. There's a Maitland, Ontario, which rests along the St. Lawrence River, between Prescott and Brockville. It's quite possible.

I don't like to look too closely at a label on a beer can or bottle because I don't want to be influenced by any descriptions of the contents. For me, it's best to open the can, consume some of its contents, make some deductions of aroma and flavour, and form an opinion before I learn more about what I'm drinking.

After finishing my first can, I learned that Something In The Water is the name of the brewery and that Hazy Maitland IPA is the name of the beer, itself. And no, the company is not located in this small town.

Here are my impressions:

Hazy Maitland IPA (6.5% ABV)
Something In The Water Brewing Company
Toronto ON

Appearance: a cloudy, dirty orange that reminded me of grapefruit juice, with a creamy, off-white head that pours thick and settles to a solid cap, which clings to the inside of the glass as the contents go down.

Appropriate, considering this IPA is named after the "Muddy" Maitland River, in Listowel (north of Stratford, ON), where a partner of the brewery, Mike, spent his childhood, catching frogs.

Nose: ripe oranges and grapefruit, with a touch of pineapple.

Palate: dank fruit, mostly of orange rind (the inner part) with ever-present, though mild, hops. There's solid body to it and a lingering finish that brings the bitterness out. The alcohol is discernable without being boozy.

Overall impression: it's a good, solid ale that has fruit and a bite to it. Apparently, Mike almost lost a finger at the Muddy Maitland to a snapping turtle. Coincidence?

I'd be interested in trying the other offerings of SITW, hoping that they're just as solid.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

You can find Hazy Maitland IPA in your friendly neighbourhood LCBO. A $50 purchase online will get you free delivery in Toronto or Kingston (where they have a second location).

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment