Monday, April 8, 2024

Today's the Day

I've been excited about today for months. And I've been super-anxious.

Partial solar eclipse, 2017.

I've made sure that I have the proper equipment to capture this once-in-a-lifetime* phenomenon. I've practiced photographing the sun (yes, I'm talking about the solar eclipse, in case you hadn't yet realized) so that my exposure levels are good. I've picked the spot where I will spend about two-and-a-half hours with my equipment pointed skyward.

I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

I'm also anxious about whether I'll capture anything worthwhile. My photos of the sun, in its full glory, have been easy enough to capture. My camera settings have stayed constant every time I've set up for my practice shots.

I'm hopeful that my photos will be better than the shots I captured of the partial solar eclipse, in 2017.

But there's no real practice for the actual time that the moon moves in front of the sun. There is no dress rehearsal for the actual event. And from where I plan to be, I only have two-and-a-half minutes to capture a total eclipse, to set my cameras (both D-SLRs) to properly expose for the corona and the light bands that emanate from behind our Earth's satellite.

Seconds to capture the Bailey's Beads and the so-called diamond-ring effect. All, while actually taking the time to enjoy this phenomenon with my own eyes.

And, of course, everything really depends on the weather cooperating, which, at the time of writing this post, seems doubtful.

DW and I have taken today off to celebrate the eclipse. We're spending the morning with friends, kayaking on the South Nation River, near Spencerville, enjoying the earliest date that we've ever put our kayaks in water. We'll paddle for a couple of hours and I'll have my 360-degree camera firmly attached to the deck.

For lunch, we'll drive the short distance to the Prescott area and find a pub or restaurant that is hopefully not packed, before we head to my chosen spot. Fingers are crossed that the spot that I've chosen isn't too busy.

If everything goes according to plan, I'll share photos tomorrow. Or Wednesday. Or Friday. Or all three days. Of course, if the sky is covered, I'll have to come up with something different for tomorrow's blog post.

Wish me luck. If you're out there, take care of your eyes and your equipment. Stay safe.

* Once in my lifetime. I don't expect to see totality again.

No comments:

Post a Comment