Thursday, September 12, 2024

Beer O'Clock: Not Done With Summer

Summer's not over yet.

During the hot season, when I want a refreshing beer, like many other people I tend to reach for something lighter. Something thirst-quenching.

On a hot summer's day, it's not unusual for me to drink a radler: a light-bodied, low-alcohol beer that is usually diluted with lemonade, or grapefruit juice, or orange juice. Some type of light juice.

I've reviewed many radlers in the past but recently, I've come across one in a place where I didn't expect to find one: in Costco.

And yet, strolling down an isle, I came across an entire pallet of radlers, bundled in 24 packs. And also, to my surprise, I recognized the producers as one of my favourites for this summer beverage.


Usually, a radler is low in alcohol, ranging anywhere from 2 percent to 4 percent ABV. This radler was alcohol-free, with 0.0 percent featuring prominently on the label.

Without hesitation, I added a case to my shopping cart. Let's take a closer look at this Costco find.

Waterloo Grapefruit Radler (0.0% ABV)
Waterloo Brewing Ltd.
Kitchener ON

Appearance: pours a clear, effervescent, pale amber with a foamy-white head that settles down to a faint ring around the edge of the glass, much like a soda.

Nose: candied grapefruit. Before your first sip, you know it's going to be sweet. There's also a biscuity aroma that lets you know that barley is one of the ingredients.

Palate: as promised by its nose, the sweetness is apparent, yet it's not cloyingly sweet. The grapefruit is apparent, and the body is somewhat malty. It's light, though the finish lingers due to the residual sugar.

Overall impression: I'm sure that if I placed a glass of this radler next to Waterloo's regular, alcoholic version, I would note differences. But on it's own, to me it tasted every bit as tasty of the alcoholic radler. If it had been given to me in a blind tasting, I couldn't tell you it was non-alcoholic.

In a way, Waterloo Brewing has marketed a very smart soda-pop. There's sugar, flavour, and bubbles, but no booze. So why would you reach for one of these radlers instead of, let's say, an Orange Crush?

First of all, this grapefruit radler has less sugar and fewer calories that your average soda (19 grams and 110 calories, respectively). By comparison, a similar 355 ml can of Orange Crush has 43 grams of sugar and 160 calories.

Also, I like a good radler and would reach for one over another sugary drink. Drinking this radler, I'm enjoying the benefits of a preferred summer thirst-quencher without taking in any alcohol.

So, this grapefruit radler is a hit.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺🍺

You can find this brew in select Costco stores (I found mine in the Barrhaven location). Sadly, I couldn't find the non-alcoholic radler listed in the LCBO. And, even more surprising, I couldn't find it listed with the other three alcoholic radlers on Waterloo Brewing's Web site.

If you see it, grab it while you can. After summer is finally done, we may not see this radler again.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment