It seems that yesterday's post was just what everyone needed. Within an hour of my first announcement of clue #5 for Where In Ottawa, many of you flocked to my blog and several of you tweeted me with guesses.
But three of you left the correct answer to the location of the contest. However, there can only be one winner. and this time it is Mike Bulthuis. Congratulations!
The location to Where In Ottawa is the central branch of the City of Ottawa Archives, on Tallwood Avenue in Nepean.
Here is a breakdown of the clues:
- Ottawa's main storethis is the central (main) branch of the Ottawa archives (which stores documents and photos of our city)
- So new, but so much historythis building opened earlier this year: it's brand-spanking new
- The writing's on the wall... er, windowon all of the windows around the building, a document excerpt is etched in the glass (see below)
- Not Charlotte's webthe building was going to be named after Ottawa's first female mayor, Charlotte Whitton, but because of the controversy surrounding her racist views, our current mayor thought better of the idea
- A colourful place for our colourful pastthe new building, as yesterday's photo showed, is colourful: bright yellow and burnt orange, as a matter of fact
|The writing's on the wall... er, window|
I think what stumped most of you was the fact that the front statuea box with glowing letters that seems to be floating away but is held down by steel cableswas shot from directly below. It's not an angle that many people see. Because the archives building is set back from Woodroffe Avenue, many may have recognized it from a more-familiar angle, like this one:
Again, thanks to everyone for playing. Let's do this again in January!