Thursday, March 22, 2012

Get Fred

I love this band.

A few years back, one of my buddies, who was living in Cork, Ireland, at the time, put me on to one of the local bands, telling me that if ever they came to Canada, I should go to see them.

That band was Fred.


Fred: Justin O'Mahony, Jamie Hanrehan, Joseph O'Leary, Carolyn Goodwin, Jamin O'Donovan

As luck would have it, Fred came to Ottawa a few months after my friend's recommendation. And as a loyal friend listening to advice, I went to see the band at Café Dekuf (a horrible dive of a place), camera in hand. I arrived early, actually got to speak to the band members, and snapped tons of photos.

Go God Go
Not having heard the band, I had no idea what to expect. What I got was a lot of energy: great rocking tunes, bopping pop songs, and some with haunting melodies. Throughout the show, I thought to myself: this band is going to be big.

The very next day, I ordered their latest album (at the time), Go God Go. And I played the crap out of it. I loved it, couldn't get the song Good One out of my head. I couldn't wait for the band's next album. Begged them to come back, perhaps to Bluesfest (yes, they're not a blues band, but neither are the majority of acts to grace the festival stages).

When I learned that Fred was in Montreal to record their next album, Leaving My Empire, I hoped that they would also be performing somewhere. I was quite prepared to travel to see them again. But it wasn't to be. They held no gigs during their stay. Shame.

Leaving My Empire
Since then, I've followed them closely on Twitter and have even shared a few conversations. I couldn't wait for Leaving My Empire to become available in Canada. And when I discovered that they would be in Canada for their release, I begged them to come to Ottawa.

Sadly, to no avail. Fred is only making appearances in Toronto: they made an appearance on Tuesday, on Canada AM, are preforming at a couple of Toronto venues, and will be on CBC Radio's Q tomorrow (Friday, March 23). If you can, tune in. I guarantee you'll enjoy them.

And now, I'm going to address Fred directly: guys, you know I'm a big supporter of your band. Call me your ambassador to Canada. Please, please, please come to Ottawa. Soon.

That is all.

(Well, not all: if you were to give a shout out to me on Q, I'd probably wet myself.)

Leaving My Empire is now available in Canada, for download, from iTunes.

Get Fred.

No comments:

Post a Comment