With our new government, I'm hoping that the following changes come straight away:
- An end to the first-past-the-post election system. We need proportional representation. Our new government must promise to change this part of the election system, making a real Fair Elections Act. I'd like to see the federal government to encourage the provinces to adopt this system, ensuring that it's in place before any further election.
- Increased funding to the CBC. A country that stifles its public broadcaster is not a free society. A cancellation of any plans to sell CBC properties.
- A return of the long-form census. A government that cannot gain detailed, relevant information cannot plan for the future.
- An end to the muzzling of ministry spokespeople—a return to media access to information. You know, the way it was done before Stephen Harper took over (and called it the Harper Government).
- Attend the Climate Conference. We owe it to the environment.
There is a lot of work for our new government. But the era of division and fear is over. Fear and paranoia is done.
A new direction is upon us.