Friday, October 16, 2015

Photo Friday: Timing

I couldn't have timed it better.

Of all the places that I like to photograph, the length of the Rideau Canal, from Hogs Back to the Chateau Laurier, has to be among my top choices. The challenge to snapping photographs is that you have to be on foot, because there are precious few places to park.

Unless you're there before sunrise.

On Thanksgiving Monday, while most of the city was asnooze, I hopped in my car and raced to Hogs Back, to be there in time for sunrise. Except, when I got there, it was still pitch black. A Google search for the hour of sunrise told me that I was almost an hour early.

There is another place that I've wanted to photograph, along the canal, when it was dark, and when the wind was still, so as to not disturb the calmness of the water: the Bank Street Bridge. While it wasn't as dark as I wanted it to be, the canal was still. The soothing glow of pre-dawn twilight was perfect.


You can see the rest of my canal shots, that I took after this one, on my Wordless Wednesday post.

Finding the right time to shoot these pictures was easy. Finding the right weather was chance. Picking the date was fortuitous: the very next day, the canal was drained for the winter. These photos would never be possible again this year.

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Once again, such a gorgeous shot! I love the reflections - makes the bridge look like little individual tunnels.

    ReplyDelete