Thursday, September 15, 2016

Throwback Thursday: New Dad

More than 15 years ago, I took on a role for which I was not prepared, for which no one is prepared until he finds himself up to his arms.

Fatherhood.

Our first-born came five weeks early and spent nearly two weeks in the Special Care Nursery at the Civic Campus of the Ottawa Hospital. I carried her from the delivery room to this ward, terrified that the slippers that they made me wear for her birth would make me slip on the clean hospital corridors. I had a nurse hold my bundle so that I could remove them before continuing down the hall.

When she was deemed healthy enough, we were allowed to take her home. She barely fit in the car seat and we had to place pads around her to keep her from rocking from side to side. Both DW and I were shocked that the hospital staff would allow this little life to leave their expert care with two highly unqualified people.

When we got our DD home, we gently carried her up to her crib, which was placed at the end of our bed in our room. She fell asleep almost immediately, and for almost an hour, DW and I lay at the foot of our bed, staring at this beautiful child.

And thinking, now what?

Me and DD, coming home for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment