Thursday, July 6, 2017

Beer O'Clock: First World Problems

For Canada's 150th anniversary, Scottish brewer Innis and Gunn released a special-edition brew to celebrate this major milestone. After all, it was a Scot who became one of Canada's founding fathers and first prime minister of this great land, so why not get a beer that celebrates Canada from Scotland?

Sadly, I couldn't find it in any of my local beer stores, though I did find an oak-aged stout from Innis and Gunn that I might review sometime down the road.

Not finding the Maple and Thistle Rye Ale by I&G is not the end of the world. It's not a first-world problem.

Luckily, I found another ale by another Edinburgh brewery, and after reading the label, I had to pick it up. I love humourous labels and fun names for beer and, seeing that I'm performing live stand-up comedy, tonight, I thought it would be fitting to share this beer today.

First World Problems Belgian IPA (6.2% ABV)
Stewart Brewing
Edinburgh, Scotland

Appearance: an unfiltered, burnt copper, with an orangy-beige head that pours to a perfect one-centimetre height before quickly settling to a razor-tin cap and then a dense lace.

Nose: fresh, ripe oranges with a touch of floral notes.

Palate: almost-sweet oranges and pink grapefruit, with a tad of ginger and caramel. The hops and malt are perfectly balanced so that it's not too bitter and not too heavily bodied. The finish is short and light, making this a very sessionable IPA.

Overall impression: if not for the high-ish alcohol content, I could drink this all day. No problem. On a hot day where you want a refreshing ale, First World Problems does that without going on the light side of summer ales.

If you find this Scottish beauty in the LCBO or your local retailer of craft beer, your thirst problems are solved.

Beer O'Clock rating: 4

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment