Thursday, August 23, 2018

At The Crack of Dawn

I was doubtful, at first.

What I wanted was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so I was determined to make it happen, no matter what. Even if it meant that I was to do it alone.

But DW was all in. Our initial plan was to leave with enough time to drive from our rental cottage, in Western Shore of Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia, to Peggy's Cove, an hour away, and arrive before sunrise. If we timed it right and if the weather cooperated, we could capture some stunning photos before the throngs of tourists arrived.

We'd take our photos and drive back to the cottage before the kids woke up, not even knowing that we had been gone.

To do this, we would have to wake up at 4:30 and be on the road by 5. If no traffic or construction slowed us down, we would be at the lighthouse by 6, with about a half hour to spare, to take pre-dawn photos and find the best angle to catch sunrise.

I knew I could push myself to get out the door but I didn't want to drive in the dark, alone. DW didn't like the thought of getting up that early, but the sun wasn't going to wait for us. She agreed that she would get going.

When the kids learned of our plan, they expressed an interest to come along. I told them how early they'd have to wake up, but still they wanted to come. "Alright," I said, "but if you move slowly, I'll leave without you." Literally, if you snooze, you lose.

At 4:15, my alarm gently stirred me. I checked the weather forecast: clear skies at Peggy's Cove. I suspected that we'd get a bit of fog, but what did I know about maritime mornings? I nudged DW and told her I would check on the kids.

They moved a bit slowly, but made progress. We dressed and packed the car for our day (we would be continuing on to Halifax, rather than returning to the cottage).

Before we piled into the vehicle, I looked up at the sky. There were so many stars that I wondered how it could still be so dark. As I was about to lower my gaze, a meteor streaked across the sky.

I wished that the morning would go without a hitch.

With no traffic to speak of, we made good time. Though the sun was still a half-hour away, the village was well-illuminated. I could see three people wandering the rocks around the point, all with cameras. They stood well back from the lighthouse, leaving a clear view.

Perfect.


Shortly after we arrived, DW and the kids began to shiver, even though they wore sweaters. They said that they would warm up in our SUV, but that I could take my time.

As sunrise approached, some clouds gathered on the horizon, providing a wall that would make the sun climb higher before it could be seen, but that was okay. A clear sky at sunrise, or sunset, is pretty boring, in my opinion.

As I walked around the lighthouse, shooting from several angles, I could see more vehicles approaching. It was time for me to move toward the village, shooting buildings and boats.


By the time I started to feel the cooled air, we had been there for nearly an hour, and already several people were right up to the lighthouse, making a clear shot next to impossible. We buckled up and made our way to Halifax.

I'm pretty sure that this was my last trip to Peggy's Cove. I'm certain that it's my last time being there at the crack of dawn.

It was totally worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment