Thursday, August 16, 2018

Beer O'Clock: Cracking Open a Conspiracy Theory (or Two)

If you're to believe the rumours, Barrhaven is home to one of the city's smallest breweries.

Or maybe, it's a coverup.

Whatever you choose to believe, home brewer and owner Paul Card, of Conspiracy Theory Brewing Company, has taken his love of the craft and decided to increase production to 240 litres at a time—roughly 900 to 1,000 litres each month.

All of this is done in his garage, a stone's throw away from the Minto Recreation Complex (and around the corner from one of my friends' house), in Half Moon Bay.


Hidden, in plain sight. But now, it's time to get the word out. Because the truth is out there (or, at least in the can).
Brewer/owner Paul Card

I visited Paul as he was about to make a new batch of brew and he let me sample four beers that he had, ready to go. He was kind enough to take some time to explain his work and share his hopes for opening a brew pub in Barrhaven.

His beer varies from a mild blonde (Staged Landing) to a hoppy session IPA (Project MK/Ultra). Neither were available, when I was there, which made me suspicious...  He showed me his Belgium wheat ale (Grassy Knoll), which is suspiciously similar to the Molson-Coors/Miller Coors/Rickard's Belgian Moon/Blue Moon/White, a coriander-citrus ale that I predict will be a hit with mainstream beer drinkers.

Area51 Cream Ale is a smooth, creamy brew and New World Order is a hoppy, palate-cleansing ale. None of Paul's brews pushes the IBUs, and that's okay because there is a lot of flavour to spare.

I walked away with all four of his current offerings and decided that I would focus, for this review, on the can that had a full label (because, that's what they want you to do), the Chemtrails American Pale Ale. (Psst... Paul, your label has an S at the end of the name but your Web site doesn't. What are you hiding??)
Chemtrails APA (5.8% ABV)
Conspiracy Theory Brewing Co.
Ottawa (Barrhaven, Nepean) ON
Appearance: a clear copper-amber with a foamy beige head that settles to a firm cap. From above, it doesn't want you to see what's underneath.

Nose: I let my glass sit for about 5 to 10 minutes after I poured it, to give the ale a chance to settle before the interrogation... I mean, review. When I placed my nose in my glass, the aromas were somewhat closed, not giving much up beyond a glimpse that something was hidden and needed to be brought out in the open. But in the end, it revealed traces of malt and a touch of wet straw.

Palate: (Psst... Paul, your site misspells this word in New World Order.) this ale wants you to believe it's something else, with malt and caramel greeting you with a rush, as though to say, "There's nothing to see here, folks." But the hops linger, in the background, and like a Magic-Eye illusion, become more apparent in the finish.

Overall impression: this is not your average APA but the flavours are solid and Chemtrails goes down well. It's a good ale to sip while you're sitting with friends, sharing stories—conspiracy theories or otherwise.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺 This is a good ale but is not quite what comes to my mind when I think APA. Maybe, those chemical and biological chemicals that those planes are spraying are finally getting to me.

Paul's beer is available at his brewery and periodically on tap at Greenfield's Gastro Public House, in the Barrhaven Mall.

Also, if you're in the Half Moon Bay area (south Greenbank Road) this Saturday, August 18, Conspiracy Theory will be at the Half Moon Bay Community Block Party, in Guinness Park (coincidence?), from 10 to 3. Come out and support a great new brewery.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment