Thursday, May 5, 2022

Beer O'Clock: Hi-Fi

I have to say that I'm really glad that DW talked me into stopping at one of our area LCBOs, a few weeks ago. I've been avoiding stores that I don't consider 'essential,' and because I've been able to order beer online and have it delivered, the LCBO is only 'essential' when we run out of wine or other booze.

I'm glad she decided that she needed some St-Germaine. For if she hadn't, if we didn't go into the LCBO near the Barrhaven Costco, I wouldn't have gone into the beer section, wouldn't have seen some new releases, and would not have left the store with six cans from three different breweries and three very different styles of brew.

I also have to admit that under most circumstances, I wouldn't have reached for a sour ale. There are very few that I like: I'm not into lip-puckering sours. If it's going to be sour, it has to be mildly so.

So when I saw a mango-passionfruit sour from a Chatham brewery, I nearly said, "nah." But then I said, "You know what? What the hell... why not?"

I'm glad I did.

Hi-Fi Mango Passionfruit (4.8% ABV)
Sons of Kent Brewing Company
Chatham ON

Appearance: an effervescent orange juice appearance with a bubbly white head that dissipates quickly. It reminds me of a murky orange soda, like Orangina.

Nose: tart tropical notes of oranges, mangoes, guava, and passionfruit. There's also a trace of acetone.

Palate: the passionfruit leads the way, followed my mango juice and oranges. The sourness comes on top of the fruit: it's obvious but not overpowering. It's also at the limit of what I like in a sour ale—I'm not quite puckering up.

Overall impression: if this ale was just a wee bit lighter in sourness, it would be perfect. I like the lush fruit and light body. This would make a great brew to enjoy on a hot summer patio or would quench your thirst after tending your garden. Or to sip while you're sitting on your front porch at the end of a workday. I like it but I get my hackles up a bit before I take a sip. I'm calm as the ale swirls around my mouth and washes down my throat.

If you like sour ales, you'll really like this offering from Sons of Kent. If you're okay with sour ales, this might test your tolerance, as it did with me. But if you're not into sour, this is not the brew for you.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

You can find Hi-Fi brews at your friendly neighbourhood LCBO or you can order directly from Sons of Kent. There is a flat rate of $15 across Ontario and all orders over $100 are free.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment