Thursday, May 19, 2022

Popcorn

I'm hopeful that we'll soon get back to the days when we can gather, safely, with scarcely a risk of catching a virus, and watch fireworks.

The risk is usually low for me, anyway, as I seek out spots that aren't crowded, where I can not only photograph the beautiful displays of light but also capture the surroundings in which they explode. Not too far away from the excitement but not too close.

The odd fellow photographer, or two, are my biggest risk.

I also have to give more thought about where to set up my photo equipment. I don't like to shoot from the same spot twice. And so I have to plan out where I'll be well in advance.

In 2018, for example, I was asked by the Ottawa blog, Apt613, to photograph the Sound of Light show. I was planning to photograph the event, anyway, but by being invited by Apt613, I was provided with tickets that would allow me to get to where the crowds gather for the best views and to hear the accompanying music clearly.

The event had special seating in two locations: at the base of the Rideau Locks, between Parliament Hill and the Chateau Laurier, and across the river, at the Museum of Civilization.

I told the folks at Apt613 that I would shoot two of the evening events, provided that I had tickets for both venues. I met one of the staff on the first night, at the Rideau Locks, and was given an envelope with two tickets.

I pulled out the first ticket, which happened to be the ticket for the Rideau Locks, and made my way to a position about mid-way on the Chateau-side of the locks, across from the Bytown Museum. I wanted to capture the fireworks as well as the spectators.

One of my favourite displays made me think of popcorn. long, striped trails of light resembled a classic bag, and yellowy-white sparkles, above the striped shafts made me think of popcorn. Blue, white, and red streams of light, above the 'popcorn,' showed the colours of the French flag (I may be wrong, but memory tells me that this Sound of Light show was presented by France).


It was a beautiful show.

My next 'gig' was to be two nights later.

Was to be.

When I got home from the France fireworks display, I decided to recycle the envelope and put the second ticket in my camera bag. It was then that I noticed that the second ticket was also for the Rideau Locks, not for the other side of the Ottawa River.

The next day, I contacted the person (through text) who gave me the tickets and asked her if I could swap out my unused ticket for the museum side. She told me that all of the tickets had been given out to volunteer photographers and that she had no more.

Could she contact one of those photographers to see if they could swap with me? She said she didn't know who had which tickets. It would take too much effort to find a museum-side ticket and she wasn't prepared to do it. Best that I just use the ticket I had.

No can do, I told her. I explained that I never shoot from the same venue twice. She didn't respond to that text.

I didn't go to the second event. I only submitted the photos of the France show. (In truth, if Apt613 had other photographers and had my France set of photos, how many more did they need?)

This year, I might try to get below the Supreme Court building, along the Ottawa River, and shoot from there. As long as there aren't large crowds.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment