Monday, May 9, 2022

Retirement

DW asked me the other day, "If you could retire to anywhere in the world, where would you choose?"

"Is money an object?" I asked.

"Yes," she said. "Imagine if we could retire in the next year. Where would you want to live?"

© Ross Brown
"Scotland," was my firm answer. "Preferably, in Edinburgh."

"Oh, God, not me! Why Scotland?"

"Ever since I went there, I fell in love with it. Every time I'm there, I feel comfortable."

In truth, I don't know if we could afford to live out the rest of our days in Edinburgh. I know that we certainly couldn't afford to live in North Berwick, my real preference for a Scottish retirement location. I guess my attachment to my fictional character's home town has caught my imagination and heart.

I'm never going to completely retire, of course. I may leave my job, sometime in the next three to eight years, but I will spend my 'retirement' writing books and taking photos—hopefully, selling both.

DW pictures herself staying in Canada, even staying in the National Capital Region, but in a comfortable house in a small town: Perth, Carleton Place, Arnprior, Manotick. A couple of weekends ago, we even checked out a beautiful house to the south of us, along the Rideau River. This is where DW could see herself retiring, where she could happily live out the rest of her days.

I, too, loved the house. I could see myself, sitting on the deck, looking out onto the river, sipping a morning coffee or an afternoon pint, or a glass of wine with friends. I would have to set up a writing space that faced away from the river, as it would be a constant distraction. But I would be happy there.

I'd like to retire when I turn 60, though DW says, realistically, retirement should come when I'm closer to 65. My dad died when he was 62 and was still working (I'm only five years away from that age!). I'm in much better health than he was when his heart gave out, but I want to start my next chapter long before health becomes an issue.

Where will we be when that time comes? Will we find the perfect place to live out our final days? If Scotland isn't it, if this house along the Rideau isn't, then where?

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment