Monday, May 23, 2022

Flying the Coop

It had to happen eventually but time creeps up and suddenly springs something on you for which you're not quite ready.

When I was growing up and living with my parents, both of my sisters moved out when they were 17. It was a bit of a shock and my parents weren't quite keen on the idea, especially since they were still finishing school and were moving in with their boyfriends. It was tougher the first time, with my older sister, but I'm sure it still stung when my younger sister did the same thing, a few years later.

I stayed at home until I was 24. I moved back home, for a year, when I was convalescing from my first foot surgery. When I was 26, I moved out for good.

Last fall, when both our kids moved to residence at their respective universities, DW and I became empty-nesters. Sure, the house was still open to our kids, who returned for the holidays, and we love having them home. But we had quickly become used to having our place to ourselves, and as much as we loved being around our kids, we looked forward to the quiet to which we had become accustomed.

Kid 2 sees that as me wanting to get rid of her and her sister, but she's got it wrong. And I'm sure there are times when she wishes to be away from us. I get it. She wants to spread her wings and fly.

DW and I wish her smooth sailing and we couldn't be more proud of her.

This weekend, we packed up Kid 2's possessions and moved her to an apartment in Toronto. She is sharing a large place with three other people who seem to be really good people. The apartment is in a neighbourhood that is close to venues where Kid 2 performs (she's a jazz drummer). She has access to public transit to get her to campus in the fall, when she resumes studies.

Kid 2's life, packed up in a 4x8 U-Haul trailer.

It's hard for us to see her go. She'll be a starving artist, having to play gigs to stay afloat (and likely, a part-time job to supplement income). She can be headstrong and delicate at the same time, so DW and I will be worried the whole time she's away.

Of course, she always has a place to land, should living in Toronto become too much to handle. It's not an easy nor inexpensive city in which to live.

On the sidelines, we'll be rooting for her and reminding her that we have her back. DW and I will make time to head down to Toronto to catch her shows. She has an aunt who also lives in Toronto, not too far away, and in the fall, her sister will also return to the GTA.

Time has really thrown DW and me a curveball. Our kids are growing up and flying away. Retirement is coming into sight.

This is the most bittersweet time of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment