Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Beer O'Clock: Hopsicle

There's nothing better than receiving a surprise care package delivered to your front door. Especially, on a Friday afternoon, when you'll have the whole weekend to enjoy it.

That's exactly what happened to me, last Friday, as I was thinking about the weekend.

Spearhead Brewing Company, in Kingston, has been very good to me for many years, sending me packages that contain their newest releases, as well as a few favourites thrown in. I don't know what I've done to deserve such generosity (a few kind reviews, perhaps?) but I'm always happy to support one of my favourite breweries and I hope they don't stop surprising me.

The latest delivery contained three new brews and three familiar beverages. They went straight into the fridge (after the following photo was shot) because they arrived warm from the summer heat and I wanted to tuck into them as soon as possible.


One of the cans that caught my eye immediately was the bright yellow can. I had seen tweets from Spearhead, promoting the sparkling rosé ale (at the time of writing, already sold out) and the Czech pilsner, but the can with the hop cooling itself on a block of ice intrigued me.

And so, that's the one I've chosen to review. And hopefully, this small-batch release will still be available by the time this release is posted (I chose Tuesday, rather than Thursday, to buy you a couple of days).

I took more than an hour to finish this glass because it was my only sample and I wanted to be as thorough with my notes as possible. I wanted to make sure I captured all of the flavours accurately.

You're welcome.

Hopsicle Cold IPA (5.4% ABV, 42 IBUs)
Spearhead Brewing Company
Kingston ON

Appearance: a slightly unfiltered yellow-gold with a bright, foamy head that settles to a solid cap. The head changes to a fine lace with the first sip. Over time , the ale seems less cloudy, though there is no evidence of sediment on the bottom.

Nose: fresh grapefruit with a touch of pine.

Palate: the pine is much more pronounced in the mouth and leads the flavours of grapefruit rind and citrus, and ends with a dry finish. The hops are quite prominent on this cold-brewed ale.

I detected none of the cherry, blackberry, or strawberry that Spearhead put in their tasting notes for the ale, none of which I'd expect in an IPA, anyway. All of the flavours I sensed were typical for the style.

Overall impression: Hopsicle is an interesting take on an IPA and should please those who love a good, hoppy ale. With an aromatic bouquet and a dry, bitter flavour, it makes for a serious summer thirst quencher. Made in small batches (Spearhead promises another one for late August), you should snag some of this ale while you can.

Experimentation is one of Spearhead's strong points. As they say, they're always looking to move outside of their comfort level, and this beer is a testimony to that curiosity. Keep doing what you're doing, Spearhead!

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

Spearhead offers free delivery within Kingston (minimum purchase required) or throughout Ontario for a modest fee.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment