Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Packing List

DW didn't think it could be done.

"It'll never fit," she said when I told her what I'm bringing to Portugal.

  • Two D-SLR camera bodies
  • Three lenses
  • Tripod
  • Three-metre monopod
  • Two video cameras and accessories
  • Mini-tripod
  • Camera suction cup and mount
  • Multi-port charging station and cables
  • Laptop
  • Three t-shirts
  • Three short-sleeve dress shirts
  • Two long-sleeve shirts
  • Three pairs of pants
  • Rain jacket
  • Swim suit
  • Three pairs of socks
  • Water shoes and walking shoes
  • Pajamas
  • Three pairs of underwear
  • Toiletries
  • Ball cap
  • Expedition hat

I don't like to check bags at the airport, so it all has to fit in my carry-on suitcase and small backpack. I bought a new pack that matches the dimensions of what I'm allowed to take with me on the plane that we've booked in Portugal, to fly from Porto to the Algarve.

"It'll never fit," said DW. "Don't take two D-SLRs, that's crazy."

"But I can put a wide-angle lens on one and a telephoto on the other," I explained, "that way I don't have to stop to change lenses. If I'm going to leave anything behind, it's my older video camera."

"I think you should do that."

"Nope. It'll fit."

We've been talking about creating our own packing lists and making sure that we have enough room in our storage cases to hold it all. Yesterday, I finally put my claim to the test.


I set out my suitcase and backpack on our bed and proceeded to gather all the things that I wanted to bring with me. When I laid everything on the bed, I actually thought that DW might be right, that I had too many things with me.

But then I remembered that we have packing cubes of various shapes and sizes. I used these cubes when I travelled to South Korea, in 2019, and they were really good at allowing me to stuff lots of clothing into small containers.

I also had to take into account that I was going to be wearing one pair of pants, underwear, socks, t-shirt, and dress shirt. I'd also have my walking shoes on my feet and my expedition hat on my head.

My underwear, socks, and swim trunks went into the smallest packing cube. In another cube, I added all of my shirts and pajamas. Two pairs of pants were rolled up around the legs of the tripod and will be used for extra padding. My ball cap will keep the suction cup (for mounting a video camera to a kayak) and clamp (for if there's no suitable surface for the suction cup) from moving around.

One of my D-SLR bodies goes into the suitcase, surrounded by the packing cubes. One lens is in a padded case and another is also between the packing cubes. My rain jacket can be stuffed into one of its pockets and becomes a soft case as well, which cushions the charge pack.

I'll carry the other D-SLR, in hand (no one has ever questioned me when I've done this.

I bought a small, soft, compartmentalized case, into which go both video cameras and their accessories, plus the mini tripod. This pack goes into my backpack, along with my toiletry kit bag and the three-metre monopod, laptop, and more cables and power cords.

I've even arranged things so that they're easily accessible, particularly when I go through the airport security. When I open the backpack, I can pull out the case with the cords and video cameras, and the laptop is easily removed from the back of the pack.

It took me about 15 minutes to gather all of my belongings and about 10 minutes to get it all arranged in the various storage containers. Admittedly, I had to lean on the suitcase to get the zipper closed and the backpack is at maximum capacity, but it all fits.


I'm ready to go.

We have 17 days to go before we board a train in Ottawa, bound for Montreal, and hop on a plane to Lisbon. At least now, I'm confident that I have everything that I need and that everything will fit into my suitcase and backpack.

It's quite the load but this part of preparing is now a load off my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment