Thursday, August 18, 2022

Beer O'Clock: Tequilima

Mango margarita in Mexico.
"Why wouldn't you just have a margarita?"

DW saw me approach her and the shopping cart as I walked from the aisle that was filled with craft beer, two cans in my hands.

"Those look colourful," she said, eyeing the bright-green, patterned can. In bold, white letters, the name Bongo was the most prominent word. "Is that the beer you tried to order at breakfast last weekend?"

She was referring to the previous Sunday, when she, Kid 1, and I met with my parents for breakfast. We were able to sit on the patio of Big Rig Kitchen and Brewery, on Iris Street, near IKEA. When we were seated and our server asked us if we'd like coffee or something else to drink, I asked him if they were allowed to sell any of their beer at that time of morning.

I had noticed that the breakfast menu had included some morning cocktails: if the brewery could sell those, perhaps I could have a light, fruity radler. It was a bright, sunny, and warm morning, after all.

I learned that Big Rig was not licensed to sell alcohol before 11:30, and we were about an hour or so too early. It was a shame, as I thought that the Bongo Grapefruit Radler would hit the spot. I hadn't had one in a few years, when I wrote another Beer O'Clock review.

Coffee it had to be.

So, when I found myself in a beer aisle in a grocery store and saw the bright-green can with Bongo on the label, I moved in for a closer look. This was a new Bongo, one with tequila and lime. And beer. (It can't be a radler without beer.)

Two cans it had to be.

When I explained to DW that it was not the same Bongo that I was looking for at our Sunday brunch, that these green cans held a radler that was flavoured with tequila and lime, her next question seemed straightforward and honest.

"Why wouldn't you just have a margarita?"

Indeed, why wouldn't I?

DW and I love margaritas. Last February, when we were in Mexico, mango margaritas were our staple beverage. I couldn't tell you how many we had over that fabulous week, but it's fair to say we had a lot. We even made some of them when we returned home, whizzing frozen chunks of mango in our blender with a healthy dose of tequila (brought home from our trip) and a few dashes of concentrated lime juice.

This summer, thanks to the margarita mix that we find at Costco and the ample tequila we still have from Mexico, I drink almost as many standard margaritas at home as I drink beer.

So, would this tequila and lime radler from Big Rig make for as refreshing a Caribbean cocktail? Let's find out.

Bongo Tequilima Cerveza Radler (2.9% ABV)
Big Rig Brewery
Ottawa ON

Appearance: this radler pours almost like a cider, with a clear, effervescent, pale straw-yellow and a foamy, bubbly white head that quickly settles down and dissipates, with only a few bubbles rising to the top of the brew.

Nose: tart lime hits the nostrils immediately, mixed with a bit of green apples. I was also met with a hint of yeast, like unbaked bread. Again, I was reminded of cider, rather than beer. (In a radler, that's not necessarily a bad thing.)

Palate: there's a sweetness that hits the tongue straight away and is chased by a more-pronounced lime. My thought is that this is very much like The Pop Shoppe Lime Ricky Hard Soda, but without the cloying sweetness.

I do find, however, that there's a bit of an artificial sweetness to this radler that gets carried to the finish.

The tequila is there, also toward the finish, but is very subtle, which is no surprise. At only 2.9% ABV, there can't be that much of that liquor in the can. There is also an overlying flavour of biscuit that keeps all other flavours from getting out of hand. The fruit in the finish is short but the sweet tequila lingers.

Overall impression: Bongo Tequilima is a crushable, easy-drinking radler with an interesting flavour profile. It quenches your thirst with its light body and would be perfect on a patio, on a hot summer day. The low alcohol content means you could have a couple without feeling a buzz.

But does it replace a margarita? Absolutely not, nor do I think it's trying to carry itself off as an alternative to a margarita. The biscuity notes tell you there's more ale than tequila, and the tequila, I think, is there to cut the tartness of the lime. It all works very well together but is a very different drink to a margarita.

If you like margaritas and crave one, stick to what you know and love. If you want a light ale and are curious about something different from the traditional lemon, orange, or grapefruit radler, Bongo Tequilima is definitely worth your attention.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

You can find Bongo Tequilima in the LCBO, in various grocery stores, and can be ordered from Big Rig. The brewery offers free shipping within Ottawa with a minimum purchase and throughout Ontario for a modest fee.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment