Monday, April 17, 2023

Out of India, Into Japan

I expected this virtual challenge to last to the beginning of May.

I told myself that I was going to go steadily and take my time. If I covered a modest 18.25 kilometres a day, I could expect to cross the finish line on May 2.

I averaged more than 28 kms each day.

And last week, with the weather becoming summer-like, I was able to get on my road bike. In the past five days, I rode on four of them, covering a total of 163.5 kms. My cycling season is off to a great start.

When I completed a 'short' 21.5K ride to Manotick and back, late yesterday afternoon, I surpassed the 18.6 kms that were remaining in my Golden Triangle India virtual challenge, completing the route and leaving my pace marker at only 62 percent done.

Good for me.

I'm feeling confident about my cycling ability and am confident that I'll have no trouble covering the 70K in the upcoming CN Cycle for CHEO, on May 7. And I'm also ready to start my next virtual challenge more than two weeks ahead of schedule.

My new goal is to complete this route before May 7.

I've virtually left Delhi, India, and have virtually landed in Kyoto, Japan, and have started the 552-km Nakasendo Trail, which starts at Nijō Castle, in Kyoto, and ends in Tokyo. Because I didn't need to use Sunday's step count toward the Golden Triangle challenge, I put them toward my new challenge.

It's a modest 4 kms or so but I was fairly lazy yesterday, until I got on my bike.

I originally planned to finish this trek in 28 days, which means I need to complete just under 20K a day. But because I've proven that I can go much further, especially when the weather lets me take out my road bike, I'm confident that I can get this challenge done in three weeks, if not fewer.

(The start to this week doesn't look conducive to cycling outdoors but I have confidence. Thursday, so far, looks cool but sunny.)

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment