Thursday, June 29, 2023

Beer O'Clock: Rings of Saturn

There seems to be no end to the hazy pale ales that are flooding the market but every once and a while, there are those that stand out. I've written about this style of beer so often that I have to go through my list of beer reviews to actually remember which have been my favourite.

There are a lot.

I even think that this style of beer is now my favourite, surpassing even a good stout, a style that I've loved since my early 20s. That's a long time ago.

Despite my ongoing beef with this style being associated with IPAs, I've come to love that tropical fruitiness. But, again, how does one make a brew like this that stands out.

Here's one that does for me:

Rings of Saturn Hazy IPA (6.5% ABV; 35 IBUs)
High Park Brewery
Toronto ON

Appearance: pours an unfiltered, goldish apricot that is followed up by sediment that makes for a cloudy, deep orange, similar to grapefruit juice. A creamy white head pours thick and leaves a solid cap that clings to the sides of the glass.

Nose: oranges, limes, mangos, and a kiss of pine resin that actually made my nose run.

Palate: the pine leads on the tongue and is backed up with pineapple juice and guava, and finishes with bitter hops and a touch of peaches.

Overall impression: Rings of Saturn comes full circle with bitterness perfectly balanced with ripe fruit and then back to bitterness. Classified on the can as a full-bodied New England-styled, hazy IPA, this ale is all that. The beer is out of this world.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺🍺

High Park Brewery, according to its Web site, has partnered with Lost Craft under one roof. It's no surprise that I like this hazy ale as I've also enjoyed a couple of offerings of Lost Craft (their Neapolitan Ice Cream Stout really stood out for me). I'm going to have to pay them a visit the next time that I'm in Toronto.

In the meantime, both High Park and Lost Craft brews can be found at your friendly neighbourhood LCBO or at a participating grocery store. Grab some for this upcoming Canada Day weekend.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment