Thursday, June 8, 2023

Beer O'Clock: Juiced Seagull

There was a time when you couldn't get me to drink a wheat ale.

I think it was due to the fact that when I saw a hazy beer, I thought that there was something unnatural about it. Funny, huh? Man, how times have changed.

In times of unfiltered brews, filled with lactose and other additives, a wheat ale seems pretty tame.

Last weekend, my beer fridge actually became empty, save for one can of DW's apple cider and a lone can of the sorrel that I reviewed some time ago. It's been some time since I've ordered beer online, as I told myself that I had to first finish what I already had before I started anything new.

The sorrel is now gone. I finished it after I mowed the lawn.

Rather than order online and wait for my beer to come to me, I visited my friendly neighbourhood LCBO while DW went shopping in the Loblaws garden centre. I grabbed a basket and wandered the aisles.

It seems that hazy, so-called IPAs are what are making money for the craft brewers, and good for them. I love those juicy ales too: I just wish they'd drop the I from the name. I filled my basket with all sorts of these brews and they'll keep me going for the next couple of months of reviews.

Stay tuned.

But my eye also fell on a can that read "Blood Orange" in red lettering at the base of its can, with an angry-looking bird showing a bulging bicep and wearing a blue and white, striped tank top. I recognized the brewery—I love the beer from these folks—and added two more cans to my basket.

It wasn't an IPA of any stripe but it was a style of beer that I've recently gained a whole-new respect and admiration for.

Juiced Seagull Blood Orange Wheat Ale (5% ABV)
Cowbell Brewing Company
Blyth ON

Appearance: pours a bright gold. The haze of the wheat ale doesn't become obvious until you finish the pour. A creamy, white head settles to a solid cap and miniscule pearls stream to the surface in a fine-fizz effervescence.

Nose: over-ripe bananas come on like a powerhouse, tempered only slightly by mild citrus. It smells a bit creamy and almost reminds me of those banana marshmallow candies.

Palate: there is a creamy texture in the mouth and the bananas are still present but not as strong as they are in the aroma. The orange flavour comes toward the finish but there's a wateriness to it. You don't get a bold citrus feel in the mouth. The finish is short and clean.

Overall impression: Juiced Seagull is definitely a thirst-quencher and is light but well-balanced. It's a wheat ale with a twist. The nose is absolutely beautiful but I feel that the fruit could be just a bit more intense. With that juiced seagull on the label, I expected more juice and it wasn't quite there.

There's more banana to this ale than blood orange.

Still, I'd drink this wheat ale again and think it would be great on a hot, summer afternoon. It's definitely patio beer.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment