Thursday, July 27, 2023

Beer O'Clock: Hail Saison

One of my favourite beer styles, over the past few years, has been the modest, unassuming saison. These farmhouse brews, which originated in Belgium, have a lot of characteristics that I like in a beer: light, fizzy, and fruity, they are perfect on a hot summer's day.

They also have added characteristics that I like. There's a mineral quality, almost flinty, with a spice that just gives me a comforting feel when I'm sitting back and sipping one.

So when I saw one being offered when I visited a Toronto brewery, last month, I had to add it to my mix.

Blood Brothers Brewing was founded in 2016 by Brayden and Dustin Jones, and I discovered that their taproom is just a short, five-minute drive from where my kid lives. Why I hadn't visited sooner, I don't know.

Though I picked up a good mix of IPA-styled brews, I was most interested in trying the saison. And after chatting with Dan, who was behind the counter, I was comped a couple of small cans that I can't wait to crack open and share my views.

Thanks, Dan!

Let's take a look at this saison.

Hail Saison — saison with Hallertau Blanc and Wai-iti (4.5% ABV)
Blood Brothers Brewing
Toronto ON

Appearance: pours a slightly unfiltered, effervescent, deep-apricot gold, with a generous, foamy-white head that settles to a dense lace.

Nose: banana and pear that unmistakably cries saison. I love it.

Palate: there's a tartness that hits the mouth straight-on. It's not common in the saisons that I've had before but it's not uncommon in a saison, though I was not expecting to pucker like I did. But after the initial sour shock, subsequent sips gave it the tartness of lemonade, backed with the flinty mineral-ness that I did expect. The finish is short and cleansing, but I didn't pick up much in the way of spice.

Not that that's a deal-breaker or anything.

Overall impression: for anyone who's read my past beer reviews, you'll know that I'm not a big fan when it comes to sour ales. There are a handful that I have liked, but it's not a style that I'll reach for. The initial sourness of this saison threw me a curve but as time went on and the glass went down, Hail Saison grew on me. It jabs you in the mouth with a tart citrus but then the flintiness reminds you that it's a saison, and the fruit soothes you as it goes down your throat.

The short, clean finish resets your mouth and you're ready to start the flavour exploration all over again.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺 + .5

While my last visit to Toronto was my first visit to Blood Brothers, it certainly won't be my last. Next time, I'll plan to stay and try some of their food, and I'll likely come home with another armful of brew.

You can order Hail Saison online for delivery or, if you're in the GTA, why not pay them a visit in person? Tell Dan that I sent you.

Cheers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment