Monday, July 3, 2023

Fraud Syndrome

Yesterday, I drove out to Vankleek Hill to drop off my work for the Photo Synthesis art exhibit, which open this Thursday. The next time I drive to the Arbor Gallery, 10 of my photos will be hung on the walls to be displayed to the curious public.

Hanok Home (12" x 15.5" print
in a 17" x 21" matted frame)

That's when I'll be exposed for the fraud that I am.

I've already withdrawn four photographs from my initial submission, replaced with a single print that I like for the colours but the longer that I look at it, the more I think it shouldn't belong on a wall. The memory surrounding that photo has significance to me but I doubt anyone else will find it appealing.

What makes me think that I have any right to show my work to people in such a fashion? I'm not an artist. Some of my photos, in my opinion, are good, but I can't help but think that someone will come to the exhibit, look at one of my photos, sneer, and say, "You're actually asking money for someone to buy that and... what? Hang it on their wall? Who do you think you are?"

I'm gradually getting into the headspace where I think of this exhibit as an exercise in humility. Each of the photos that I've submitted have some meaning to me, take me to a time where I noticed something, it held my interest, and I captured it on either 35mm film or digitally.

Some of the subjects in the images were fleeting and can never be reproduced. Other subjects are still where I left them but I'll never be back to where I captured them. These are moments in time that came about simply because I noticed them.

Most of these photographs will never be printed again, so those who decide to buy them will own the only printed copy. Perhaps, that will make the images special to someone.

Photo Synthesis runs from July 6 to 30, with a vernissage on July 8 from 1 to 3. If you want to make a special trip to Vankleek Hill, come and say hello. Come and meet three other local photographers who will also be sharing their work. I've seen a few of their photos and they are worth the trip.

Hopefully, a strong presence of art lovers will dispel the fraud syndrome I'm feeling. (Either that, or they'll validate my fear.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment