Monday, July 31, 2023

Shorts on a Line

Now that the Photo Synthesis exhibit has wrapped up, I'm already thinking about the photos that I would want to show at the next show.

If I ever have another exhibit, that is.

I learned a lot from Photo Synthesis. I learned what size of photo seems to be more popular. Though one of my larger pictures did sell, neither of my largest, 24 x 36 canvas prints, sold. Most of the framed prints that were most successful were 8 x 10, or smaller.

Nature subjects sold better than did subjects of city scenes or candid people shots. Though I did sell my closeup of the waterfront buildings in Porto, Portugal, most photos that had people in the frame did not sell.

I think that if I were to select photos again, I'd go for some of my bird photos and some of my flower shots. I'd offer some of my landscape nature images. While I've learned that a good photo should tell a story, many photos in the exhibit that screamed storytelling remained unsold at the end of the last day.

Photo Synthesis was a good first show. Given that the Arbor Gallery is in a remote town, I'm surprised I sold any of my works. I did speak to a lot of people who were interested in my photos and asked me about the stories behind them, or how I came upon the photo opportunity, but in the end those curious folks didn't make any purchases.

That's okay.

I learned a lot and will have a new understanding if I'm ever to do this again.

When the doors closed on the gallery and my remaining prints were loaded in my car, one of the other photographers (who's also an old friend) and the exhibit's curator (a new friend), both who live in Vankleek Hill, invited me for a pint at the town's tavern. We sat at a table on the patio, out behind the tavern.

My friend, Greg, noticed a clothes line, beyond the patio and high above, with two pairs of shorts hanging. He pointed it out to me and said that it was too bad that we didn't have our cameras with us. The shorts would make for an interesting shot.

I pulled out my smartphone and captured a quick shot. I then ran the image through my phone's photo-editing software, Snapseed, and in less than a minute showed my work.


"Should I have it printed?" I asked.

Well, should I?

(No. The answer is no.)

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment