Thursday, June 27, 2024

Beer O'Clock: Zero

I've said it before: Dry January is easy; Dry July is a challenge. 

In January, it's cold and I tend to stay indoors. I don't socialize as much and, therefore, drink less. In July, it's hot and the patios are open. It's fun to socialize and, therefore, I tend to drink a bit more.

It's not easy to restrain yourself from reaching for a cold brew on a hot July day. And yet, this July, I tend to do just that.

Now, I've tried a few non-alcoholic brews and there will be some that I will likely pick up for the month, but I find it hard to locate a good zero-alcohol stout. Sure, they're out there, but they're often not easy to find.

Over the months, however, I've seen online friends raving about a non-alcoholic Guinness, and I decided to try some out in preparation for Dry July.

Here's what I've thought.

Guinness 0 (0.05% ABV)
Guinness & Co.
Dublin, Ireland

Appearance: It pours exactly like a Guinness. It has a nitrogen widget that creates a cascading foam, which turns to a deep-walnut brown. As soon as I cracked it open, I poured it quickly into my glass and created a perfect, creamy-taupe head that was the perfect height.

Nose: dark-roasted malts with a hint of milk chocolate and espresso. Had I not known better, I'd swear I was given a traditional Guinness.

Palate: a light-roasted coffee and notes of caramel, with a bit more sweetness than a standard Guinness and a waterier body. The sweetness, though, isn't cloying and the finish is flavourful.

Overall impression: while it looks and smells like a traditional Guinness, it doesn't exactly taste like the true stout. Sure, it does taste undeniably like a stout, there's something different from the old faithful Irish brew.

Still, it's a very good stout. And because the standard Guinness is only 4.2% ABV and you can't really taste any booze, the non-alcoholic stout can pass for one with a slight kick.

I think I've found my stout for Dry July. Though it's funny how the warning on the label still tells you not to drive after consuming it.

Beer O'Clock rating: 🍺🍺 + .5

You can find Guinness 0 at your friendly neighbourhood LCBO.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment