Friday, October 18, 2024

Shoot the Moon

Last Saturday, as DW and I were standing on Britannia Beach, waiting for a chance to capture Comet Tsuchinshan-Atlas (we didn't see it, by the way, though the sunset was worth venturing out), there was something in the sky that was behind us, ever-faithful, almost calling to us.

"Look at me... look at me..."

I still had a bit of time before the comet was supposed to come into view, should the clouds decide not to obscure our sight of it. So I swung my camera around and tilted upward.

It was one quick shot. With my new lens, I noticed that the moon was much larger in the frame than my older telephoto lens. To show a close-up shot, I wouldn't have to crop nearly as much in post production.

The RAW file was uploaded to my smartphone and edited in Snapseed. I noticed that I had overexposed a bit too much and blew out some highlights, and I was only able to recover so much.


But the craters are sharper than I'm used to with my older lens. I wish I had this new lens earlier this year, for the solar eclipse.

Next time.

Still, there's always the moon. The next time we have a thumbnail moon, I'll be out with my camera: that's my favourite phase.

And last night, I stepped into my backyard to capture the Hunters Moon. Here's that shot:


Oh, and the comet? We didn't see it on Saturday night but check out Monday's blog post, next week.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment