Thursday, October 17, 2024

Two Kayaks and a Canoe

A couple of weeks ago, we got together with our good friend, Russ, who we've known since 1998, when he and I worked together, teaching English at Jeonju University, in South Korea. We learned, from day one, that we both lived in the Ottawa area, though he was about 45 minutes west of the city.

Close enough.

Russ is an avid outdoorsman who loves to hop in a canoe and solo-paddle all over Eastern Ontario and up into Algonquin Provincial Park. He has paddled The Meanest Link, a 420-kilometre paddle that connects all four Algonquin Outfitters depots with lakes and rivers in the park. It is a challenging journey that Russ has done, solo, twice.

To say that DW and I are a bit intimidated when Russ first offered to paddle with us was an understatement. But we did a leisurely paddle at Morris Island Conservation Area and crossed over to the Québec side, where we explored the small islands that lined the northern shores of the Ottawa River, to the west of Baie Black.

A couple of weeks ago, we were able to meet up again with Russ: this time, we went to a lake that wasn't very far from Carleton Place, where our buddy now calls home. He's wanted to explore this lake in Lanark County for a while, and we were the perfect excuse for him to check it out.

And, of course, I equipped my kayak with my video camera.

This week, I released a video of Clayton Lake on my YouTube channel. Have a look.

We're getting toward the end of the kayaking season but Russ says he wants to try to get out at the end of October. Weather permitting, we'll join him and his girlfriend, though I'm not expecting to bring my video camera.

As always, if you like my video, let me know by giving it a Thumbs Up and by subscribing to my channel.

Happy Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment