Friday, February 8, 2013

Photo Friday: Selfie

I'm toying with an idea for a 365-photo project but I don't know how it will fly.

You see, I'm not comfortable with the subject.

I've enjoyed the picture-a-day-for-a-year projects that others have undertaken. My favourite is from my friend, Christophe Ledent, who runs his Ottawa Seen 365 Ways in 365 Days blog. His photos are simply inspiring and creative and use light in ways that I only wish I could capture.

Another friend, Tamara Manning, took a picture a day for a day and posted them on Instagram. Tamara has a great eye and a creative mind, and set up some unique images.

I take plenty of shots around the city, but I couldn't maintain a creative streak every day. And I don't have the artist's mind that Tamara exhibits. I'm thinking of going simple.

At the risk of seeming like a self-centered navel-gazer, I'm thinking of taking a self portrait every day for 365 days.

For me, self portraits are hard. You have to think of a setting, of a pose, of an angle. You have to create a mood around yourself that shows you for who you are. Doing something different 365 times is a challenge.

I also don't think I'm particularly photogenic. Of all the photos that I've taken of myself (and I could probably count them on two hands), there are maybe only one or two that I don't mind. One of them is the one that I use for this blog: it's one that I shot last fall as part of a photo challenge. And it was tough to get the look I wanted (I never really got the look I wanted and just settled with what I had).

Last weekend, just before I shut of all the lights and locked up the house for the night, I took a couple of selfies with my iPhone. I took one more the next evening. I wanted to practice for this photo project, to see if I could handle taking photos of myself. If you follow me on Instagram and Twitter, you've already seen them.

Of the three photos, there was only one that I thought wasn't too bad.



For about 24 hours, I used this photo for my Twitter avatar. And then I got tired of it and went back to my old one (the same photo I use for The Brown Knowser and Facebook).

I get tired of looking at myself.

Anyway, I'm going to start this project on my 48th birthday. I think it will be interesting to see how I age over the year.

What do you think?

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment